Anger towards pensioner discounts

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bonkers to offer a discount to the section of society that's least likely to be in poverty.

Of course some pensioners are in poverty, but the poor pensioner stereotype is very outdated. My grandparents generation had a tough time, but not many remain of this generation as most are boomers. Who are the richest generation there has ever been, and will be for at least the next few generations. Early retirements, one parent working families, final salary pensions, owning a family home without stretching yourself ridiculously is nothing more than a dream to most people.

I had a double glazing person round and they left a leaflet that said pensioners get a 10% discount. So they won't be getting my business, I'm not going to sub other people that may very well be far richer than me.

Rant over, I dare not post this on mumsnet or I'll be ripped a new one

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I Do kinda agree, but I think that older demographic is split. Most did very well out of the housing boom but the ones that didn’t are very very poor. Maybe some sort of means testing for discounts so the ones that are genuinely struggling get help.
(By means testing I’m happy for that to be “did you vote for Brexit?” As that tends to be where most the split was for the older generation. They either had the money to cope with what could happen next or they didn’t

Reactions: 4
I'm sure you'll change your view when you're a Pensioner yourself. You'll probably snap up that 10% discount!

To be honest a door to door double glazing salesman would probably mean he's trying to rip off people anyway. Wouldn't anyone considering getting double glazing have a fair amount of income/savings? Wouldn't those rich pensioners be leaving money and housing to their families which in turn causes rich pensioners again? I don't know. It doesn't bother me. Some people are rich. Some are not. Age doesn't come into it. My folks are in their 80's and I know they are still counting pennies the same as when we were kids. All my mum is worried about is making sure there is enough in savings to bury her so it doesn't cost her kids anything. I would not call that rich. It's pretty heartbreaking. 🤷‍♀️

Edited to add: My mum lived through a world war and rations for years. duck that 10%. She deserves way more than that. 🙌

Reactions: 2
I don’t mind the 10% discount has to be some benefits to being old lol.

I also think of my grandma who isn’t well off she lives comfortably and owns her own home but when she came over here from Jamaica her and my grandad shared a house with my great aunts and uncles and some strangers. She had to leave my mum and uncle in Jamaica until she could afford to send for them which was 10 years later, while they worked multiple jobs. So I don’t really begrudge 10%off for oap. Some may be well off but not all

Reactions: 1
Most pensioners I know live in poverty. They’ve worked all their lives, contributing tax, and are left with a pittance of a pension to live on.

My grandparents often say they don’t know what to spend their money on, they struggled when they had their families but are more than comfortable now

Most pensioners I know live in poverty. They’ve worked all their lives, contributing tax, and are left with a pittance of a pension to live on.
My grandparents often say they don’t know what to spend their money on, they struggled when they had their families but are more than comfortable now
100% But definitely more the poverty I see. I personally don’t think we do enough for pensioners so a 10% discount is just a little icing on the cake.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Same as students. Student discount is a lark. I've never been so rich as when I was a student.
I was broke AF as a student and had no parental help so I do kinda disagree there. I had classmates who got a lot of money from their loans & grants so were fine but because of my parents jobs I didn’t get much at all. And my parents didn’t help.

Can’t really comment on pensioners I think it can be split (just as students really) as my grandparents were skint and didn’t have two pennies to rub together while my husbands grandparents were the complete opposite. If it benefits the poor then I don’t see any problems with offering them universally to that age group.