Am I sad for staying in tonight ?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is a long one sorry lads no need to read / reply I guess its somewhere for me to rant lol.

I worked all through Christmas!

I'm invited to 7 parties / outings tonight. Everyone is going mad I'm staying in ! Not cause I'm miss popular ( I'm a doctor, rugby player and an artist on the side so plenty of mates lol) but cause they think it's depressing !!??

My ex fella brokeup with me at the end of August. Sounds desperate but I'm still heart broken.

I blocked him on everything bar my phone and he sent me a text 3 months later looking for something of his that I forgot I had ! It was the coldest text I've ever got. I blocked him there and then and posted it the next day.

He also sent me back 2 scrapbooks and 3 paintings I made him !!!! Bastard I know! I miss him so so much but honestly I'm 30 and obviously better off since he clearly isn't who I thought he was.

I was in hospital this year for almost 4 months due to depression and had a complete breakdown in work and he became more like a nurse to me and it broke the spark really ! :(

I can't talk about my break up irl. I'm a psychiatrist and when you're a doctor you're kind of presumed to be a feicin robot ! Lol. Even asking my twin brother, sister's are no use. The only one who's good at this is my gay brother Jack who is away with his unfortunately and don't want to bother him !!

God new years is worse than Christmas cause all I'm thinking is who is my ex gonna be snogging!!!! How sad is that lol.

My parents are having a party with all my aunts and uncles so am I sad to go to that !? Ahh. Gonna get some pink gin and get drunk I think lol.

Happy New year's everyone anyway here's to 2020!

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Not sad at all I’ll be staying in with my 13 week old daughter and my dog but truthfully I’d be staying in anyway 🤣. Do whatever suits you and makes you happy! I’m cooking a curry and watching saved series I recorded of secret life of the zoo! X

• Heart
Reactions: 4
No, I'm staying in too - have far too much uni work to catch up on!

On a side note, your ex sounds like a dick - feel lucky that you are now free to meet someone (hopefully) much better.

Reactions: 5
Sorry to hear you’ve been through all that.

Staying in isn’t sad at all. The saddest thing is not being true to yourself and what you know you need.

Having said that, no one would blame you if you surreptitiously sussed out which of your party options had the most single guys, you rock up at 11.30, snog one or a few, back home in your pyjamas by 1am :D

It’s your ex’s loss btw. Here’s to your 2020 :m

• Haha
Reactions: 7
You do what you want to do & what makes you comfortable. But maybe do hang out w/ family? Toast to new beginnings! There’s nothing worse when we take the pressures of holidays onto our shoulders. Esp when some are Hallmark holidays or just designed to boost the economy. The anticipation & then let down can be very depression triggering for many, but don’t admit it. I hate it when holidays feel like any other day & unexciting, but I’ve just assumed it’s my age. I always wonder how my parents’ cope with the holidays. Since they don’t complain, then maybe it is a depression thing for me. Yet i’m too much of a realist.

Not sad at all. I'm staying in too, with my parents. I'm at home from uni at the moment and also got invited on a night out. But double fare for a taxi home and £15 entry to the nightclub? No thanks. I'd rather stay in and eat Doritos and drink lots of wine lol. Sorry to hear you've had such a rough year x

Reactions: 8
Maybe staying in is what you need. Step into 2020
With a fresh head and a heart that’s beginning to mend. I always stay in. Haven’t been invited out anyway.

I hope 2020 is kinder to you and if you never need anyone to talk to, my inbox is open.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m from Scotland and Hogmanay just isn’t what it was when I was out clubbing 10 years ago 😂

Happy to say I am sitting in tonight with a takeaway and a box of maltesers. BLISS.

Look at it as a free night to do whatever you want, you have plenty of options 🙂 Grab some nice party food or a takeaway and watch a really good feel good movie or stand up comedy.

It’s not sad to sit in and do whatever you want to or to go to your parents. Tbh most New Years party are a big let down as they never live up to their expectations 😂 I think come the 1st a lot of partygoers would have rather have stayed in than having to deal with hangovers and regret 😆

Happy New Year when it comes and I hope you enjoy it whichever way you choose to see in the new year.

Hold your head up high and don’t pay any attention to your ex. He isn’t worth your tears or your time.

I really hope 2020 is a great year for you!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Question: what would you tell you best friend to do if she was in the same situation ? That’s your answer.

The only sad thing would be if you did something you didn’t want to. I stay true to myself, staying in. I can’t cope with the fake “hugs and kisses” from people other times of the year don’t bother at all.

But having said that don’t sit in and dwell on your ex, he’s an ex for a reason. You’ve seen the other side to him (cold communication) you’ve had a lucky escape. He has moved on and ready to trap his next victim in his web. He’s in 2019 for a reason.... 2020 will bring new things. Focus on you, and what’s right for you this coming year. You deserve it after a rotten year.

Reactions: 8
Im 35 and the only time I actually went out for NYE was 2003 when I was 19 (unless you include my aunts house party at 15 where me and her neighbours kid got so drunk that I fell of a chair and flashed my underwear at everyone, and then an ambulance ended up being called for him and he had to have his stomach pumped). I’ve stayed in every single year. We sometimes invite people over, but no one ever joins us.

Sorry to hear about your year. Just because you’re a psychiatrist doesn’t mean you’re invincible xx

Unless you're someone that doesn't do text and has to speak on the phone for an hour I'm sure you wouldn't be bothering your brother at all!

After a tough year just do what will make you happy and celebrate that you've come through the other side stronger. No need to adhere to social norms.

I'd rather stay in but meeting up with lots I haven't seen in a few months, so that'll be nice but I'd quite like to go home at 11 but it's the one day of the year it's difficult to do that 😆

Reactions: 3
Sorry you've had such a bad year, I've been there and I know the feeling of being glad to see the back of a particular year. Do whatever is right for you and stuff everything else, I gave up caring about "social norms" relating to things like Christmas and New Year many moons ago and it's really liberating. You might be surprised how many people go to parties and so and spend the entire time wishing they were anywhere else! As a doctor you give so many of your hours to other people (I work in the NHS and I know how bloody hard you doctors work), time to give some to yourself! Enjoy whatever you end up doing - personally I'll be chilling at home with my husband and cat and watching TV. If anyone else had a problem with that - tough! 😀

Reactions: 7
Nope. Im planning on staying in and playing the sims.
No one has to go out and party new years eve, its just another night.

Id rather do whatever i wanted then go out and not really be into it.

Really sorry you've had an awful year , exes can be such wankstains .

I'm also staying in with the kids & family playing...cheesy games etc . Have been up since 3am for work so I'm bailing early

Anyway best advice I was ever given where I felt guilty about not going out when invited was to stop trying to please people, all my life even when I've had long days at work or bad nights with the kids I felt I had to go out to please others . I started saying no.

I think you'll be just fine with your pink gin. Chin chin 2020 👌

Sorry you’ve had such a tough time. The pressure to be happy / cheerful / socialable tonight is horrendous at the best of times, without adding heartbreak into it

we’re staying in tonight because we just don’t want to go out. We’d rather stay in than be out and having to stay up until midnight and then leaving at 1215 to drive home, with one of us drunk and one sober

staying in is the new going out

Reactions: 2
Not at all.

We are all conditioned into believing that we should be party animals who want to go out drinking and partying whenever we get the chance but the truth is we're all different and some of us prefer our own company and the TV.

I'm off out for tea with the hubby and then coming home to watch the soaps.

I hope next year is better for you. Nothing wrong with staying in I'm staying in and having a few gins. :giggle:

My parents are having a party with all my aunts and uncles so am I sad to go to that !? Ahh. Gonna get some pink gin and get drunk I think lol.
If your parents, aunts and uncles are people who you have fun with and make you feel good about yourself, go and have fun with them. Or just stay at home if you prefer. Don’t try and please anyone else though - that’s one of the perks of being single! 😂

I’ll be honest - didn’t even read the post. It’s never sad to stay in. I’ll be in bed by 10, I’m tired. I’m arsed with new year. I’ve never got it!
I have a small child and to be honest, far from being the REASON I'm Staying in, he gives me a damn good excuse for those people that seem to think tonight means anything at all!
Stay in, get in your Jamie and get smashed if you want! Or curl up in bed and laugh at everyone’s hangover tomorrow!

You are not sad at all. New Year’s Eve is completely overrated and usually a tit night out anyway!!!

If you feel better just staying in then just stay in!! But don’t spend your evening thinking about an ex-boyfriend.

Get some food and drinks in that you fancy, have a bath, get in your comfies, have a drink and eat the good good, watch a film, have an early night. Forget that it’s NYE, it’s not important.