All things K-Drama!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Definitely agree that the storylines are a lot better than dramas over here! The only thing I’m not keen on is there alway seems to be a dramatic medical emergency eg brain tumour or cancer, it triggers my anxiety slightly haha I started watching Dare to Dream but
the breast cancer storyline just triggered me too much☹

what I find most interesting is the portrayal of relationships...there’s no PDAs and the romances are always very modest, Im no prude but I actually find that really refreshing! Like the male lead always falls in love with her character first, not her looks, I really like that🥰 I mean some of the kisses are just pressing lips together and doesn’t look very real haha but I can get past that 😅

does anyone else google certain words that stick out/repeated? I now know a few words of Korean haha

Omg I’ve just got into K Pop and I am OBSESSED 🤩 I don’t even understand the words haha but it doesn’t matter, it’s always so upbeat and fun!

honestly once you get into the rabbit hole of kpop it’s very hard to get out 😂😂 you simply listen to the music and the next thing you’re doing is buying the albums which are so pretty and finding yourself watching all of the variety shows they’re on 😂

i agree the medical side of things is sometimes too much , i really want to watch doom at your service but the premise is she has a brain tumour and that’s honestly my worst fear so going to skip that for a bit!!
the only medical drama that i recommend that isn’t that bad is hospital playlist , it’s amazing and about a group of five friends that all work together at a hospital. the medical stuff isn’t that dramatic and it’s a nice balance between the friendship and work.

Reactions: 1
honestly once you get into the rabbit hole of kpop it’s very hard to get out 😂😂 you simply listen to the music and the next thing you’re doing is buying the albums which are so pretty and finding yourself watching all of the variety shows they’re on 😂

i agree the medical side of things is sometimes too much , i really want to watch doom at your service but the premise is she has a brain tumour and that’s honestly my worst fear so going to skip that for a bit!!
the only medical drama that i recommend that isn’t that bad is hospital playlist , it’s amazing and about a group of five friends that all work together at a hospital. the medical stuff isn’t that dramatic and it’s a nice balance between the friendship and work.
OMG same! I’m starting to branch out into Korean reality tv programmes hahah have you ever seen Hello Counsellor??

Ooh thanks good to know!

OMG same! I’m starting to branch out into Korean reality tv programmes hahah have you ever seen Hello Counsellor??

Ooh thanks good to know!
yes ahaaa i used to binge watch that
some of the problems you get on there are things that definitely need real professional help though but some are just ridiculous 😂 i remember i saw one that was about a girl who liked too many idol groups 😂

return of superman is another one that’s an reality show but honestly such an easy watch. celebrity dads look after their children for a weekend and some of the kids are adorable

• Haha
yes ahaaa i used to binge watch that
some of the problems you get on there are things that definitely need real professional help though but some are just ridiculous 😂 i remember i saw one that was about a girl who liked too many idol groups 😂

return of superman is another one that’s an reality show but honestly such an easy watch. celebrity dads look after their children for a weekend and some of the kids are adorable
Guerilla Date is funny too 😅 all the girls screaming ‘I LIKE HIM BECAUSE HES SO HANDSOME!’ 😭 while they stand there like 😬
Omg I’ve seen clips of that! Also ‘little forest’ (?) is cute from the few clips I’ve seen 🥺

Not sure if this is mentioned, you can watch most of the dramas on dramacool website. Even the latest ones that are currently being released.

Reactions: 2
Viki is also so good for this!
another good one is
if you type in “i created a kdrama website reddit” on google click the first reddit link and you’ll get such a good site that’s regularly updated has korean movies , dramas and reality shows

Reactions: 3
Another one finished! 🥺 3 Days, the first non romance I’ve watched! Wasn’t sure I’d like something serious but was good. I felt the ending was a bit weak though. Still recommend!

Oooh good thread. I've been a K-drama fan for years now, would estimate at least 95% of what I watch is Korean, so I've seen a fair few dramas over that time. Some of my favourites I haven't seen mentioned here yet are;

Dear My Friends (now on Netflix), don't be put off by it being about the older generation (Daniel Henney has a small part and there is a younger love story in it too), it's honestly one of the best things I've EVER seen. It's so well written that you'll feel like you know the characters irl and very relatable. It covers tough topics (dementia, domestic abuse, disability, infidelity, baby loss, cancer...) without feeling too heavy (until the last couple of episodes where I pretty much cry non-stop). This is one I go back to time and time again and would recommend to anyone and everyone that will listen (you'll think they're all crazy in episode 1, but stick with it)!

Oh My Venus (on Netflix), another one I've watched numerous times and tend to revert back to when I need something a bit lighter or a show breaks me (looking at you Black and The K2). It's about an overweight (she's actually pretty small but they treat her like she's Mr Blobby, so prepare yourselves for that!) woman who gets ditched by her long term boyfriend and stumbles upon this famous (but mysterious) personal trainer (he's actually a doctor and chaebol heir, because of course he is!) and asks him to get her in shape (it turns out she has health problems). The chemistry between the leads is insane, I literally squeal my way through this. So Ji-Sub oozes sexiness. Also the relationship between the boys is lovely (Sung Hoon is dreamy as the very polite boxer).

Bad Guys (on Netflix), have watched this several times. No romance here, but a lot of action, violent fight scenes and some gruesome bits. A disgraced, drunken detective (nicknamed "mad dog") has to put together a team to solve murders. The team consists of convicted prisoners, who will reduce their sentences with every "win" (Ma Dong Seok as a big gangster, Jo Dong Hyuk (hot AF :love:) as a slick contract killer (honestly he's the coolest in fight scenes) and "psycho", serial killer Park Hae Jin, who doesn't remember any of the murders he's supposedly committed). Aside from the annoying and somewhat useless female detective (who seems to whisper her way through the entire series), the characters are well played and casted. You'll likely fall in love with all 3 "killers" and I enjoyed their banter and teamwork, despite their insistence on not working together! Note: Bad Guys 2: Vile City is a completely different cast, though vaguely references the first series (but you could easily watch without watching the 1st). I also like this (not as much as the first, it did take me a while to get over my upset that none of the originals were in it, but the 2nd time I watched it, I enjoyed it much more), again a team of misfits are put together, though not from prison this time. It's much, much more violent than the first (there were times I pleaded with the screen to stop them fighting because I was knackered just watching it) and there's a massive twist quite early on, which you just don't see coming. The prosecutor in charge is much more likable than series 1 "mad dog", Joo Jin-Mo is great as the muscle that doesn't say very much and I really enjoy a brooding Ji Soo. There's also a third BG, a film, with Ma Dong Seok...I've only watched it once, it felt a bit...indulgent, it's not my favourite. They really need a series with a team-up of series 1 & 2 characters (the very, very end of series 2 hints at that, is it wrong to say that's my favourite bit of the whole series? Once you watch, you'll see why).

38 Task Force/Squad 38, I'm a big Ma Dong Seok fan and this is very different to his usual gangster roles. He works a pretty mundane, thankless job collecting unpaid taxes, but gets embroiled with this con-artist, played by Seo In Guk (absolute hottie, that beauty spot kills me...and the eyes and the pouty lips). They work together to get the rich to pay up. Beware you need nerves of steel watching this...there's cons on top of cons and often you don't know who knows what and who is working with who. The villains are despicable, you'll hate them with a passion and want them to get their comeuppance. There's a very slight romantic angle, but it's not the main focus or explored that much, it's the 'hyung' relationship that develops between the main male leads that's adorable. I adored Lee Sun Bin in Missing Nine and she's great in this too.

Doctors (on Netflix), one of the few shows I watched in real time and I honestly thought I might die between episodes each week 😆 Park Shin Hye is my queen (I know some people aren't keen, but I love her). The story begins with her starting a new school after moving in with her Granny, their lodger happens to be the school teacher and there's chemistry there (not of the school classroom variety ;)). She's the school "bad girl" but you can tell, she's really not (she just doesn't have the family connections and money to get out of trouble). A big event happens (won't spoil) and then it moves forward to her being a doctor alongside a girl she went to school with and lo and behold, hot teacher (Kim Rae Won) also starts working there. PSH is well known for her lack of passion in kissing scenes (she literally takes a step back and pulls a disgusted face 🤣), but I remember the tension building to THE KISS and wanting them to do it sooooo badly! The patient storylines were good and pulled you in (quickly), but I could do without the politics and power struggle at the hospital (that's actually what stops me watching this on repeat). I just wanted more of the main couple. Ji Soo is cool, but goofy as the local bad boy and Kim Min-Seok plays a doctor, aka l'il cutie and part time fanboy of PSH's character (he also has a storyline that had me bawling my eyes out). To begin with it's hard to know who is who, especially in operations when the doctors are all gowned and masked up, there's quite a lot of characters. The constant bowing to each other will also make you dizzy! I love her school friend and how they remained together. Btw, only in Korean dramas can the same actors play 16 year olds one minute, then 36 year olds, the next (and look authentic as both). Oh, also toy grab machine in a house, NEED!

Defendant I went on a Ji Sung binge recently (he's ridiculously hot and reminds me of BTS Jungkook, but maybe that's just me), anyway he plays a prosecutor trying to prove his innocence after being accused of murdering his wife and child (he has no memory of it). He ends up in prison with his brother in law as one of the guards (who obviously hates him for killing his sister) and it all goes a bit Prison Break (they even reference the origami swan after making them in prison 🤣). I'm always on edge with prison dramas and more so if they're trying to break out (didn't breathe the entire time), but this is really worth the watch. L'il cutie from Doctors is in this too and his character had me bawling (again)!

Prison Playbook (on Netflix), if you're watching Hospital Playlist, this is from the same people and it's worth watching too (if only for the brilliant "what does your girlfriend do?", "she's a prison guard", cue theme music, reference from series 1 🤣🤣🤣). 90% of the cast of PP are in HP, it's ridiculous! Like HP, it's a bit quirky; awkward sound effects and music, flashing back to something we missed earlier, much later, but it grows on you. Park Kae Soo plays a dim but lovable baseball star (you often wonder if he is as thick as makes out) who goes to prison after his sister is attacked and he hits the man, seriously injuring him. It then follows his life in prison, with a seriously inept governor, who wants to give him preferential treatment and PO Na who would do anything but. You can't help but fall in love with the other prisoners (and ponder why so many apparently lovely people are locked up) and most of the guards (there's a reference in the end of The King: Eternal Monarch as well that will make sense if you've watched PP), though there's a good dose of baddies too. I literally "ahhhhed" out loud every time Jung Kyoung Ho (Kim Jun Wan in HP) was on screen, he's just so, so lovely in this and has the same storyline (dating his mates little sister). The story of Captain Yoo (Jung Hae-In) and his brother (Dr Do in HP) is sad, as are all the prisoner backgrounds tbh, I have a soft spot for so many of the characters and cried a lot during this (but laughed tonnes too, wait until Looney speaks properly 💣). Watch out for the older Joseph Gordon Levitt lookalike, he is creepy AF.

I'll leave it at that for now as my post is long, but hopefully you'll pick up some recommendations from this x

• Heart
Omg k drama's ive only ever seen 2 at the moment but i love
12 years promise
I am not a robot

Both amazing and soo soo good

Another one done! Beautiful Gong Shim….20 episodes, could definitely have been condensed to 16 but was wrapped up nicely! 😭 now down to only one that I’m still watching, Phantom 👻

so now I’ve watched a few, I can say that in order my favourites have been:

The Last Empress
Masters Sun
Oh my Ghost
Beautiful Gong Shim
3 Days
Phantom (not finished it yet but it’s promising!)
Wok of Love
Protect the Boss (I’ve decided 11 episodes in I’m not feeling this one, so it’s at the bottom)

Saw this thread and had to comment

1) Hello, me! A very sweet story, where a down on her luck woman in her forties finds herself having to look after the 16 year old super confident version of herself. It sounds far fetched but it's one of my fave K dramas of the year, about how yourife doesn't always go to plan due to things like bereavement.

2) Navillero (sp?) - a young ballet dancer is tasked with teaching a 70 year old ballet, and while he resents it at first they form a close bond and there's a heartbreaking twist which all leads toward a very emotional, if a little camp, finale performance.

3) Racket Boys - currently airing. A light and breezy, community spirited easy watch about a young badminton team in the country and how the village they live i rallies around them.

4) Reply 1988 - the greatest K Drama of all time IMO. It centres around a group of teenage friends but the storylines encompass all characters who live in the street its set in. All kinds of themes, and all of the characters are so good I was gutted when I got to the end of it.

I wish I were better at writing but I really couldn't recommend these enough. All on netflix.

Reactions: 3
Ahhh! Thank you for making this!!

I found them last year when I was having a time, just really suffering. They've really seen me through a lot.

My all time favorites have been:

When the Camellia Blooms ( you'll fall in love with Kang Haneul and the love won't go away, trust me)
Fight For My Way
Touch Your Heart ( you'll fall in love with both, but the FL is SO endearing)
CLOY ( but was really heavy for me, so in a sense, I liked it but probably wouldn't watch again just because I found it emotionally draining)
It's Okay, That's Love
Was it Love?
Currently in the middle of "Misaeng/ Incomplete Life" and I actually really like slice of life dramas about what work/ personal life is like and I like so many of the actors, but I know it might not be everyone's cup of tea.
and I have really been liking Where Stars Land ( again fell in love with the ML) but it gets a little slow at times, but I love that there's 32 episodes.

Excited to see what else everybody has here!

I just watched Tale of the nine tailed (gumiho)! Lee Dong Wook is sooo hot 😍
Yesssss indeed he is 😍 If you haven't seen "Touch Your Heart" and like fluffy, office romances, you would love him in that. Also there's a compilation on YT of him laughing for 2 mins and it's so endearing.

yesssss!!

i haven’t seen law school yet , but forgotten is so good Kang Han-eul who plays the lead is also in a movie called “midnight runners” and another one called “like for likes” which are both amazing
OHH!! where did you find Like for Likes? I'm in the USA and I can't find anywhere to watch it. Thanks!

Last edited:

I found them last year when I was having a time, just really suffering. They've really seen me through a lot.

When the Camellia Blooms ( you'll fall in love with Kang Haneul and the love won't go away, trust me)
Fight For My Way
CLOY ( but was really heavy for me, so in a sense, I liked it but probably wouldn't watch again just because I found it emotionally draining)
It's Okay, That's Love
Was it Love?
Currently in the middle of "Misaeng/ Incomplete Life" and I actually really like slice of life dramas about what work/ personal life is like and I like so many of the actors, but I know it might not be everyone's cup of tea.
and I have really been liking Where Stars Land ( again fell in love with the ML) but it gets a little slow at times, but I love that there's 32 episodes.

Yesssss indeed he is 😍 If you haven't seen "Touch Your Heart" and like fluffy, office romances, you would love him in that. Also there's a compilation on YT of him laughing for 2 mins and it's so endearing.

OHH!! where did you find Like for Likes? I'm in the USA and I can't find anywhere to watch it. Thanks!
I LOVEEEEE Fight for My Way and CLOY!!

• Heart
I just finished Vincenzo (loved it!), a lot of fighting but so hilarious!

I am currently watching Hotel Del Luna, its good in a very quirky way.

I just watched Tale of the nine tailed (gumiho)! Lee Dong Wook is sooo hot 😍
I loved this series!

Fight For My Way
It's Okay, That's Love
Was it Love?

if you google “i made a kdrama website reddit” it’s the first link and it’ll take you to a reddit page and in that post they’ll be a link and it’ll be that website
it has sooo many k movies on there

if you liked kang haneul in when the camellia blooms you’ll fall in love with his character in like for likes

not sure if anyone here is into korean movies but here a few i’ve watched

like for likes is about different couples that use social media to help there relationships. Kang Ha-nuel’s character is beyond adorable in this movie and the relationship he has will have you crying.

midnight runners has Park Seo-joon & Kang Ha-neul so already it’s 😍😍 but they are two police university graduates who witness a kidnapping and decide to investigate at parts it’s heavy but it is pretty funny and has a great story line

new year blues is a romantic comedy that focuses on four couples on the week leading up to new year’s eve it’s just a light hearted rom com that has a really good cast

okay madam is a ridiculous movie that has a ridiculous storyline but it is just soo good. A couple end up going to hawaii but whilst on the way there they end up on a hijacked plane 😂

the witch subversion is honestly one of the best movies i have ever seen korean or not a girl escapes from a government facitily and ten years later is on a national tv singing contest where the course of her life drastically changes

the juror is loosely based on what happened when korea introduced the juror system into the country and at first it wasn’t something i would watch but the storyline has you hooked

Attachments

Last edited: