Advice on Police Behaviour

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi my fellow tattles :) I just wanted some advice before I do something stupid that I cannot undo. I would love some advice, especially if anybody works for the police. or had similar previous experience. Find loooong story below ;) all backed up with my in car camera.

I was driving home today when a vehicle in front of me seemed to be just stopped in the road, honked my horn two short beeps they did not move. Then I realised they were waiting for another vehicle, fair enough, it's annoying but ok. We were going through a village and after the village it is 40mph so I waited for it to be safe then overtook them as they were going slow on purpose and once over taken slowed back down to 40mph. Whilst I was overtaking they were honking at me.
Anyway they then started aggressively overtaking me and shouting. I opened my window and the lady in the passenger side is screaming "we are the police you blooming cow pull over" whilst the driver was waving a badge.
So I pulled in next to them where the driver started having a go at me for beeping my horn earlier and then "stopping" in front of them. Even in the footage you can listen to how super polite I am whilst not backing down. Strangely enough the passenger who shouted at me to pull over never said much. The whole disagreement lasted about 5min at most.
I told her I have a camera of what happened and that I did not stop in the middle of the road but slowed back down to 40.
Then the driver said she also had a camera and that she was going to report me for reckless driving. I politely then said "fair enough" and then we both drove off.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am. I don't think the passenger was even a police officer, although I do believe the driver was. She did not have flashing lights and the way she pulled me over was actually so dangerous that another vehicle stopped to tell her that but she just said police business and they drove off.
I even checked all the footage at home and I literally did nothing wrong, not a single of the things she was accusing me off. I did not stop, my camera confirms I slowed back to 40mph. I think she just had the asshole because I beeped her and then later overtook them and slowed.

I doubt she will do anything BUT I really want to make a complaint about what happened. They clearly thought I would feel cowed because she was a PO but I wasn't because I knew I did nothing wrong.

My partner said let it go because it can cause me hassle with the Police further down the line. I however hate injustice and just keep thinking that somebody else might have been really intimidated by them and their behaviour. And I feel like she needs to be taught a lesson? Also I am a bit of vindictive cow and would love her to get a reprimand

What are your opinions?

Reactions: 2
Hi my fellow tattles :) I just wanted some advice before I do something stupid that I cannot undo. I would love some advice, especially if anybody works for the police. or had similar previous experience. Find loooong story below ;) all backed up with my in car camera.

I was driving home today when a vehicle in front of me seemed to be just stopped in the road, honked my horn two short beeps they did not move. Then I realised they were waiting for another vehicle, fair enough, it's annoying but ok. We were going through a village and after the village it is 40mph so I waited for it to be safe then overtook them as they were going slow on purpose and once over taken slowed back down to 40mph. Whilst I was overtaking they were honking at me.
Anyway they then started aggressively overtaking me and shouting. I opened my window and the lady in the passenger side is screaming "we are the police you blooming cow pull over" whilst the driver was waving a badge.
So I pulled in next to them where the driver started having a go at me for beeping my horn earlier and then "stopping" in front of them. Even in the footage you can listen to how super polite I am whilst not backing down. Strangely enough the passenger who shouted at me to pull over never said much. The whole disagreement lasted about 5min at most.
I told her I have a camera of what happened and that I did not stop in the middle of the road but slowed back down to 40.
Then the driver said she also had a camera and that she was going to report me for reckless driving. I politely then said "fair enough" and then we both drove off.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am. I don't think the passenger was even a police officer, although I do believe the driver was. She did not have flashing lights and the way she pulled me over was actually so dangerous that another vehicle stopped to tell her that but she just said police business and they drove off.
I even checked all the footage at home and I literally did nothing wrong, not a single of the things she was accusing me off. I did not stop, my camera confirms I slowed back to 40mph. I think she just had the asshole because I beeped her and then later overtook them and slowed.

I doubt she will do anything BUT I really want to make a complaint about what happened. They clearly thought I would feel cowed because she was a PO but I wasn't because I knew I did nothing wrong.

My partner said let it go because it can cause me hassle with the Police further down the line. I however hate injustice and just keep thinking that somebody else might have been really intimidated by them and their behaviour. And I feel like she needs to be taught a lesson? Also I am a bit of vindictive cow and would love her to get a reprimand

What are your opinions?
Ahhhh bloody hell! Sorry you’ve gone through that! Honestly some of the PO these days just let the badge get to their head.
I haven’t experienced this but where I’m originally from is a small town in the countryside around 1000 people and I was driving home from work one evening and a car was flashing for me to pull over on a really quiet, dark country road. I knew I wasn’t speeding and my break lights etc were fine so there was no reason to be pulled. The car continued to tail me, flashing their lights etc and I refused to pull over. I was genuinely scared so called my boyfriend and gave him the reg over loudspeaker. The car followed me all the way home and as I pulled into my cul de sac it sped off.
I called the police the next morning and it turned out it was actually a police officer.
Anyway i made a formal complaint and they were suspended.

I personally would make a complaint if I were you!
Not right they can get away with behaviour like that when they’re supposed to be setting an example!

Reactions: 8
In not with the police but I do work within law and you are completely within you right too (and should) make a complaint. It’s normally advised that you complain directly to the force involved and their website should have a complaint form, if you don’t want to do it in person.

There are rules about police conduct for s reason, and this does not sound like proper conduct. Don’t worry about causing hassle with the police - it cannot be held again you.

Reactions: 9
@SunshineDreamer thank you for advice. I'm still sitting on the fence a bit. Now that I'm calm I wouldn't want anybody to lose their job. Once I said to her I've got a camera we can look at the footage the conversation quickly came to a close. I think she probably realised she can get herself in trouble

If you’ve gone beyond the speed limit you could potentially be done for that in retaliation but I’d definitely complain.

Was it a police car? If you have the reg of the vehicle, make a complaint.

They should be able to find out who it was and follow it up.

If you don't think the woman who shouted at you was an officer, that's a whole different issue. It's a criminal offence to impersonate a police officer.

Reactions: 3
@SunshineDreamer thank you for advice. I'm still sitting on the fence a bit. Now that I'm calm I wouldn't want anybody to lose their job. Once I said to her I've got a camera we can look at the footage the conversation quickly came to a close. I think she probably realised she can get herself in trouble
No one would loose their job. They would more than likely get an official warning. The issues comes from what someone else said - if the passenger wax impersonating a police officer. The should definitely be followed up.

Reactions: 6
No one would loose their job. They would more than likely get an official warning. The issues comes from what someone else said - if the passenger wax impersonating a police officer. The should definitely be followed up.
If I did make a complaint can I first find out who the officer involved was and then decide if I want to pursue it? Or is it once you make a complaint you can't stop it?

If I did make a complaint can I first find out who the officer involved was and then decide if I want to pursue it? Or is it once you make a complaint you can't stop it?
Why does who it is matter? Genuine question because as you said, you were sure you did nothing wrong and had a camera to back you up on that, I'd consider what if the next person doesn't? Clearly they thought they could cow and scare you and only backed down because you had proof they were acting inappropriately.

People like that don't learn unless they are pulled up on bad behaviour, and with you having a camera you're the best person to make a complaint as facts don't lie (I have strong feelings about this sort of thing due to having similar issues atm only it's care workers acting innappropriately)

I would definitely contact the Police, if only to check these were genuine officers.

You must have the reg no. of the car on your recording so, personally, I'd verify whether that vehicle belongs to the Police.

If they are police officers then their behaviour should be reported. I doubt they will get sacked, officers have to do a hell of a lot to get dismissed. Probably will just get a smack on the wrist but it should make them think twice about abusing their position again.

Reactions: 3
@Lardoflife thanks for the feedback. Even though I agree that they should be held accountable and I was on here feeling I need justice - I am actually soft 🙈
I like to fight my battles but then I don’t like getting people in trouble even when they deserve it.
I’ve decided to enjoy my Xmas and then if I still feel aggrieved I will lay a complaint

@stringman I think they were in personal vehicle but I also do genuinely believe the blonde lady at least was a copper.
I will give it until after Xmas and see how I feel then. Thanks for the feedback

Reactions: 1
That must have been a scary experience! I’m not surprised you are reluctant to report it, I would be too. You have evidence that you did nothing wrong, and that they behaved inappropriately, so it can’t come back to you, but unfortunately people who abuse their authority usually start small and escalate over time, so you could be doing them a favour by reporting them for something relatively small (they wouldn’t lose their job, likely they would go on a communication course or have a few sessions with a police counsellor) so it might actually help them to do better in the future. Obviously it’s not your responsibility to do anything, but you can look at it that way too.

Can I ask if you are 100% sure they are / were police officers ? As surely if they're in an unmarked car they're doing something that would require them to be Incognito , honking thier horn and shouting at you is not exactly being descreet .
I would be inclined to ring the local police with the details just incase they're some sort of nutters impersonating police officers

Can I ask if you are 100% sure they are / were police officers ? As surely if they're in an unmarked car they're doing something that would require them to be Incognito , honking thier horn and shouting at you is not exactly being descreet .
I would be inclined to ring the local police with the details just incase they're some sort of nutters impersonating police officers
My OH doesn’t think they were police officers. I however do believe at least the driver was.
I know this happened on 18/12/19 but I thought I’ll give the police a ring this wkend and check if it was real police officers, then take it from there.
I wanted to get Xmas out the way. I guess I’m a little naive as I just take most things at face value ofcourse if they started to get out of their car etc I probably would have phoned somebody

Plus calling her a blooming cow seems odd for a Police Officer.

My OH doesn’t think they were police officers. I however do believe at least the driver was.
I know this happened on 18/12/19 but I thought I’ll give the police a ring this wkend and check if it was real police officers, then take it from there.
I wanted to get Xmas out the way. I guess I’m a little naive as I just take most things at face value ofcourse if they started to get out of their car etc I probably would have phoned somebody
Really odd behaviour though , make sure you do it doesn't matter if it was a week ago you have the incident recorded .

Plus calling her a blooming cow seems odd for a Police Officer.
Exactly