Advent - have we lost it

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When I was a child in the 80s/90s we had the basic open one door Advent calendar. Loved it.

I’ve just watched a child on a small influencers account open a fancy looking electric toothbrush for the first day of her Advent calendar.

When did Christmas become this? I’m not Scrooge but I have great memories of Christmas, no such Advent calendars, no Christmas Eve boxes.

Have we lost the ability to step back & think we actually don’t need these things. We are burning up the planet with this crap & kids don’t need more junk toys & sweets.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
I was born in 1968 and we only had the nativity or picture one ! My daughter is 24 and up until she was 21 I got her a malteser advent . I’m fine with the chocolate advent . I have seen a Lego one which I like . I would factor that in moneywise as being part of their present though.

Reactions: 1
My mum refused to buy the chocolate ones so I only got a picture in my advent calendars as a kid. 😂 My kids have had a few of the beauty/craft/toy types over the years and been unimpressed so we just stick with the chocolate ones now. And tbh my son doesn't even bother with that usually. I agree it's all crap.

Reactions: 1
Ahh yes I also had a picture one when I was young and I actually enjoyed wondering what picture would be behind each door. Now though its all materialism and buy, buy ,buy.

Reactions: 2
I had the Nativity picture on as a child in the 70's it was closed up after Christmas and put away to be brought out year after year.

When I was a child in the 80s/90s we had the basic open one door Advent calendar. Loved it.

I’ve just watched a child on a small influencers account open a fancy looking electric toothbrush for the first day of her Advent calendar.

When did Christmas become this? I’m not Scrooge but I have great memories of Christmas, no such Advent calendars, no Christmas Eve boxes.

Have we lost the ability to step back & think we actually don’t need these things. We are burning up the planet with this crap & kids don’t need more junk toys & sweets.
It hasn't really become this though, has it? 'Influencers' don't represent the overwhelming majority of people.

Reactions: 3