Adult Only Wedding

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We are wedding planning and have always been set on an adult Only ceremony and reception. Many of our friends have children and honestly, we just don't want the kids there. If you've had a CF wedding, how did you phrase it?

Reactions: 5
We just addressed the invites to the adults only and no one had any issue with it (as far as I'm aware).

Reactions: 4
We are wedding planning and have always been set on an adult Only ceremony and reception. Many of our friends have children and honestly, we just don't want the kids there. If you've had a CF wedding, how did you phrase it?
Be prepared for a few people not being able to make it. We had 4 adults only weddings this year, all good friends . We could only had babysitters for 1 of them, so we decided to not go to any of them as it didn’t seem fair to pick one. 3 were understanding, the other got really annoyed and has refused to speak to us since 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Be prepared for a few people not being able to make it. We had 4 adults only weddings this year, all good friends . We could only had babysitters for 1 of them, so we decided to not go to any of them as it didn’t seem fair to pick one. 3 were understanding, the other got really annoyed and has refused to speak to us since 🤷🏻‍♀️
We are willing to provide a list of babysitters in the area or if the venue offers childcare, we would pay for that.

Reactions: 3
We are willing to provide a list of babysitters in the area or if the venue offers childcare, we would pay for that.
Nice gesture, but people dont always like leaving kids with strangers, proper babysitters or not.
Just say no kids and if people say they are struggling, maybe then offer, but like others said, be prepared for not all to come x

Reactions: 4
We had a child free wedding and we had no issues with guests not coming. We just put their names on the invite and not the child's. Only one couple asked if they could bring their kid, we declined and they were fine with it, in fact I think many of the parents were glad of the excuse to have a child free evening.

If people are going to be petty about it then they're not worth your time, sorry, but not everyone's life should revolve around other people's kids. It's your wedding, your choice.

Reactions: 22
One of my good friends is getting married next summer and they aren’t inviting children, my two will be 3.5 and 1.5. She’d said straight away they wanted a child free wedding and I was totally fine with that, kids are cute but a massive distraction at weddings. Invites haven’t been sent out yet I believe she has told people individually that they aren’t inviting children and as far as I know, only one family have said it will be a problem.

Reactions: 2
We went to a wedding over the summer where initially children weren’t invited. We didn’t mind them not being invited, their wedding their choice.
The bride and groom then changed their mind and invited children so we chose to take them and have them picked up before the night do so we could enjoy ourselves.

Just address the invite itself to the names of adults. If any ask (as they will) ‘I assume we can bring XXX’ just say unfortunately we are restricted on numbers and have kept it to adults. Don’t apologise, it’s your wedding, I personally don’t understand why non-family are so obsessed with bringing all their brood to weddings

• Haha
Reactions: 10
My friend got married and it was adults only apart from people involved in the wedding they have no young kids themselves so I totally understood my little girl was a flower girl I just found it totally stressful there was 2 children there involved in the wedding it really depends on if there is anything for the children to do I think they can be quite boring for kids the meal speeches etc my friend is getting married 4 o’clock wedding no day time meal or anything straight to venue and there is plenty for the kids too do

My friend got married and it was adults only apart from people involved in the wedding they have no young kids themselves so I totally understood my little girl was a flower girl I just found it totally stressful there was 2 children there involved in the wedding it really depends on if there is anything for the children to do I think they can be quite boring for kids the meal speeches etc my friend is getting married 4 o’clock wedding no day time meal or anything straight to venue and there is plenty for the kids too do
It’s what suits you and your life really it’s your day x

We just put a note on the invite that said we couldn’t accommodate children and hoped our adult guests would enjoy a day to themselves to relax and unwind.

There’s lots of poems and things online if you want a more gentle approach!!!! 🤣

Reactions: 1
We don’t have children and we are getting married next year. We are having our nieces as flower girls and feel indifferent about other people bringing their kids. In fact most of our friends with kids have made their own child care arrangements or wider family are coming to get them in the evening when they get tired. It’s a long day for children and inevitably will play up late into the evening.

Ultimately it’s your day and your rules, if people don’t like it they just won’t come. A couple of less people to feed and cuts the costs 🤪

I've just gone through this. I wrote as much as we'd love to have all your children there we can only accommodate our nieces and nephews. No one has complained and we've got 180 guests and most have kids. Its awkward but generally most people like to have a night off and should understand xx

We had a family wedding where my daughter wasn’t invited. I was more upset about the way it was handled-no chat about it being an Adults only wedding or even a message with the invites. They simply just left her off the invite. That in my opinion is not the right way to do that.

I’d include a note with the invite or speak to those with kids to say it is adults only.

We had a family wedding where my daughter wasn’t invited. I was more upset about the way it was handled-no chat about it being an Adults only wedding or even a message with the invites. They simply just left her off the invite. That in my opinion is not the right way to do that.

I’d include a note with the invite or speak to those with kids to say it is adults only.

Yeah I’d always put a note on the invitation, to advise people that it’s adults only.

Are there many adults (that have children) that you’re inviting?!
Yep, most of my SOs friends have kids.

Our one niece and nephew would be part of the wedding party, they're the only kids in our family. But we do not want to invite all of our friends kids.

I don't think we should feel bad about not wanting other peoples kids at our weddings. People always say it's your big day, you should have what you want so I think you're well within your rights. They take up valuable spaces at venues and if people really want to come they'll fine childcare. As I say we just said we're only able to accommodate our nieces and nephews. People shouldn't question that! Good luck

Reactions: 6
When I got married the for first time we had a CF wedding. My OH had 5 siblings who all had several kids each. They were all fine with it apart from one sister who refused to come without her three kids which made things a tad awkward between us.

I've been invited to a family wedding but my children aren't invited so I can't/ am not going, however I have absolutely no I'll feeling at all. I wasn't annoyed at all until they started to try and persuade me to 'give them to someone' for the weekend!

Reactions: 2