Adult braces - 6 month smile

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why are so many adults needing braces and orthodontic work? It's a genuine question - is orthodontic work not offered to children anymore? I had a lot of orthodontic work as a child, starting at age 10 when I had 4 teeth removed (2 from top jaw and corresponding ones from bottom jaw) to create more room for the others. I then had metal rings with slots attached to them cemented onto my back teeth on the upper jaw into which a metal attachment like a horse's bit was inserted, this attached to a strap that went around the back of my neck. I had to wear it for 14 hours each day and it was tightened once a month in order to pull everything back to create even more room for my teeth. After that was over (about a year) I had a plate brace for a couple of years. All in all my treatment took about 4 years, but I have lovely straight and even teeth as a result, so happy it was done for me. This was all done in the late 1970s to early 1980s and all free from my NHS dentist.

Reactions: 1
Why are so many adults needing braces and orthodontic work? This was all done in the late 1970s to early 1980s and all free from my NHS dentist.
You must have been lucky and got in there in time for braces. My brothers who were 5 years older than me had them via the NHS but by the time I needed them it was not available so I waited until I could afford it as an adult.

Reactions: 3
Why are so many adults needing braces and orthodontic work? It's a genuine question - is orthodontic work not offered to children anymore? I had a lot of orthodontic work as a child, starting at age 10 when I had 4 teeth removed (2 from top jaw and corresponding ones from bottom jaw) to create more room for the others. I then had metal rings with slots attached to them cemented onto my back teeth on the upper jaw into which a metal attachment like a horse's bit was inserted, this attached to a strap that went around the back of my neck. I had to wear it for 14 hours each day and it was tightened once a month in order to pull everything back to create even more room for my teeth. After that was over (about a year) I had a plate brace for a couple of years. All in all my treatment took about 4 years, but I have lovely straight and even teeth as a result, so happy it was done for me. This was all done in the late 1970s to early 1980s and all free from my NHS dentist.
I really want braces to straighten my teeth . It is purely cosmetic, from a dentist point of view they are fine and don't cause any problems whatsoever.
I actually think my teeth have got more crooked with age . I had a tongue piercing which didn't help.

I would really like braces or Invisalign to fix a gap I have in my two front teeth. I'm almost 35 and just feel so embarrassed to go to the dentist about it about my age.
Any suggestions on what would be most suitable please? I've also thought about porcelain crowns.

I’ve got Invisalign and honestly it’s changed everything - it’s made me take my oral hygiene so seriously too but it’s super difficult to wear for 20 hours!!!

have a meeting with both a normal brace and Invisalign. I was told it’ll take longer with normal braces than Invisalign and also my Invisalign quote was £1000 less than the normal braces who quoted almost £5k
I would really like braces or Invisalign to fix a gap I have in my two front teeth. I'm almost 35 and just feel so embarrassed to go to the dentist about it about my age.
Any suggestions on what would be most suitable please? I've also thought about porcelain crowns.

I’ve got Invisalign and honestly it’s changed everything - it’s made me take my oral hygiene so seriously too but it’s super difficult to wear for 20 hours!!!

have a meeting with both a normal brace and Invisalign. I was told it’ll take longer with normal braces than Invisalign and also my Invisalign quote was £1000 less than the normal braces who quoted almost £5k
Thank you so much. I'll do just that.

I’m taking a gamble with Smile Direct as what I am wanting is very minor (my teeth are all straight just a few gaps). I’ve heavily researched and know the pros and cons. I’ll happily report back here as I go.

Reactions: 4
I’m currently weighing up between getting Invisalign and six month smiles.
My teeth are straight with no gaps or overcrowding but because I have a cross bite, you can barely see any of my teeth when I open my mouth to smile.
My teeth are perfectly straight but are behind each other rather than next to each other making my smile tiny and I hate it.
Im not sure which is the best option but I can’t wait to get them, this has bothered me for ages.

I’m currently weighing up between getting Invisalign and six month smiles.
My teeth are straight with no gaps or overcrowding but because I have a cross bite, you can barely see any of my teeth when I open my mouth to smile.
My teeth are perfectly straight but are behind each other rather than next to each other making my smile tiny and I hate it.
Im not sure which is the best option but I can’t wait to get them, this has bothered me for ages.
I had a consultation with smile direct who I think maybe the same aswell as traditional and Invisalign (I’ve gone for Invisalign) the main thing you want to think about which is why i didn’t go with ones you get like smile direct is if your teeth don’t track like they’re supposed to, who do you see?

Please don't feel embarrassed to see your dentist about this. You'd be amazed how common it is for patients to consider orthodontics. There's likely to be various options, from fixed braces/invisalign to cosmetic veneers/crowns. Your dentist knows your teeth best, will have an idea of your mouth as a whole and can give you advice on what's right for you. Nothing to be embarrassed of, and sometimes it's the nicest work to do, as minimal treatment can result in patients feeling so much better about themselves.

Reactions: 2
I had a similar gap in mine, and got it fixed over 10 years ago with composite bonding. It’s where they basically use the same material as what they use for fillings to bridge the gap between teeth.
It’s completely painless, you don’t even need a numbing injection and it looks really natural, took only about half an hour too.
It’s a really good option for superficial issues like gapping or evening out chipped teeth.
It cost €100 and is still perfect years later. So do some research on composite bonds and see if any of your local dentists offer it, if that’s your only issue with your teeth then it’ll be a much cheaper quicker option than braces to close the gap.
My dentist said there would be no need for porcelain crowns or veneers and he was right.
Theres lots of before/after pics on the internet to see what it’ll look like too! Best of luck x

I had a similar gap in mine, and got it fixed over 10 years ago with composite bonding. It’s where they basically use the same material as what they use for fillings to bridge the gap between teeth.
It’s completely painless, you don’t even need a numbing injection and it looks really natural, took only about half an hour too.
It’s a really good option for superficial issues like gapping or evening out chipped teeth.
It cost €100 and is still perfect years later. So do some research on composite bonds and see if any of your local dentists offer it, if that’s your only issue with your teeth then it’ll be a much cheaper quicker option than braces to close the gap.
My dentist said there would be no need for porcelain crowns or veneers and he was right.
Theres lots of before/after pics on the internet to see what it’ll look like too! Best of luck x
Amazing. Thank you, I'll definitely do my research and that sounds like a great option and a lot cheaper! I was quoted 3k today for Invisalign and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford it.

Sorry I know this may be an obvious question but what is involved in the 6 month smile? Is this done with your own dentists?

Sorry I know this may be an obvious question but what is involved in the 6 month smile? Is this done with your own dentists?
Mine was done at a private dentist (not my normal nhs one). It’s basically just traintrack braces but with clear fittings so they are not as obvious (you can still see them if you look closely). They stay on for about 6 months but can be more/less depending on the severity. It’s usually only appropriate in mild cases - if there’s major issues with your bite you’d need to see an orthodontist.