Actually Honest - skincare & makeup reviews #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New to this thread but have searched for it on tattle so don’t think it’s been mentioned - is anyone using the glossier natural deodorant and how have you found it pls? Or alternatively are there any ones you rate? I’ve been making lots of enviro swaps but there’s so much noise re deodorant and I don’t trust them all but do trust Glossier!

I work remotely so thankfully don’t have a commute to get through, or realistically I don’t have to inflict my natural deodorant underarms on the general public. I do exercise daily at home but wash straight after so don’t think that matters. I have a toddler so run around after her a lot though so it needs to be somewhat effective?

I've been using the REN brightening eye cream from the M and S advent calendar, and its great:

REN Eye cream

This is the cheapest I can find it, when I'm ready to repurchase...
I thought the M&S advent calendar was really good this year and such a bargain - I've used loads of the stuff out of it. Bit gutted that REN eye cream is so expensive :LOL:

Reactions: 3
Does anyone have any recommendations for eye creams/serums for very sensitive skin? My eyelids are like paper, the skin is so thin and the last few months, have reacted to everything that I used previously. I was using Cerave serum and this was working well but now seem to be reacting to this too, it’s like a red chemical burn then my skin peels in my crease and eyelids. I can’t go without because the skin looks crepey :( I blame following Caroline Hiron’s tit advice in the past which I haven’t done for a year

• Sad
Reactions: 2
New to this thread but have searched for it on tattle so don’t think it’s been mentioned - is anyone using the glossier natural deodorant and how have you found it pls? Or alternatively are there any ones you rate? I’ve been making lots of enviro swaps but there’s so much noise re deodorant and I don’t trust them all but do trust Glossier!

I work remotely so thankfully don’t have a commute to get through, or realistically I don’t have to inflict my natural deodorant underarms on the general public. I do exercise daily at home but wash straight after so don’t think that matters. I have a toddler so run around after her a lot though so it needs to be somewhat effective?
I use the natural deo co deodorant- the eucalyptus and mint is brilliant. They do mini samples so you can try before you commit. The only one I’ve not liked so far was from their ‘gentle’ range- the texture wasn’t as spreadable!

• Heart
I thought the M&S advent calendar was really good this year and such a bargain - I've used loads of the stuff out of it. Bit gutted that REN eye cream is so expensive :LOL:
Yeah, it's good but forty odd quid is a bit steep. However, there's loads of it on eBay, as it was in the advent calendar 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Does anyone have any recommendations for eye creams/serums for very sensitive skin? My eyelids are like paper, the skin is so thin and the last few months, have reacted to everything that I used previously. I was using Cerave serum and this was working well but now seem to be reacting to this too, it’s like a red chemical burn then my skin peels in my crease and eyelids. I can’t go without because the skin looks crepey :( I blame following Caroline Hiron’s tit advice in the past which I haven’t done for a year
It’s not marketed as an eye cream but eucerin aquaphor is amazing for this! It’s great at repairing a damaged or sensitive skin barrier; it’s amazing as eye cream too just a wee tiny bit goes a long way. Would highly recommend. Amazing on lips too! Doesn’t break the bank either

Reactions: 7
La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermallergo

Yeah, it's good but forty odd quid is a bit steep. However, there's loads of it on eBay, as it was in the advent calendar 😂
Ha, never thought about that! I might look out for a couple of the other products on eBay and Vinted now :ROFLMAO:

---

La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermallergo
La Roche-Posay is really good for sensitive skin - I've used the Toleriane cleanser when my skin barrier was damaged (or something!!) when I had covid and the la roche posay cicaplast baume B5 was an absolute life saver... everything else was stinging my skin so much, it was so red and painful!

Reactions: 5
Ha, never thought about that! I might look out for a couple of the other products on eBay and Vinted now :ROFLMAO:
I picked up another one of the Emma Hardie moisturisers on eBay for 6 quid, its really nice as a night cream.

I use the natural deo co deodorant- the eucalyptus and mint is brilliant. They do mini samples so you can try before you commit. The only one I’ve not liked so far was from their ‘gentle’ range- the texture wasn’t as spreadable!
I use that one too! I use almost all of their “flavours,” it’s the only one that doesn't irritate my skin!

• Heart

I had to switch from normal antiperspirant when I developed an aluminium allergy so I've tried a few. I liked Nuud and found it really good value for money and liked the compact tube, but spreading the paste may not be for everyone compared to the roller type dispensers (and I'm not convinced on how biodegradable that kind of sugarcane packaging is). I'm using Native at the moment, because I accidentally ended up with a boatload, but I got lucky with shipping & import charges and feel like having to order across a distance undermines any eco gains. Lush also do a natural deodorant bar that's very low on packaging! If you have any BHA (e.g. Paula's Choice 2% BHA) that also works well to help with underarm odours. Once I weaned myself off aluminium, and as long as I keep my underarm reasonably clear of hair and look after my clothing (hanging clothes up to air before putting into the washbasket), I don't find I have any problems with smells! I've also seen recommendations to apply natural deodorant before bed, to let it start working overnight. Also worth bearing in mind some natural deodorants contained bicarbonate of soda, some don't, and people's mileage can really vary on whether bicarb works for them or irritates the skin.

I'd recommend trying a few different types of natural deodorant and bearing in mind there is a transition period when you stop using aluminium! So be prepared that it may get worse before it gets better. But I'm so glad made the switch (even though I had no choice).

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Anyone buying from Amazon, EBay etc I would recommend downloading Beauty Keeper or looking online at Check Fresh or Cosmetic Calculator etc just to see if you’re going a legit product and it’s not old.

Reactions: 6
I had to switch from normal antiperspirant when I developed an aluminium allergy so I've tried a few. I liked Nuud and found it really good value for money and liked the compact tube, but spreading the paste may not be for everyone compared to the roller type dispensers (and I'm not convinced on how biodegradable that kind of sugarcane packaging is). I'm using Native at the moment, because I accidentally ended up with a boatload, but I got lucky with shipping & import charges and feel like having to order across a distance undermines any eco gains. Lush also do a natural deodorant bar that's very low on packaging! If you have any BHA (e.g. Paula's Choice 2% BHA) that also works well to help with underarm odours. Once I weaned myself off aluminium, and as long as I keep my underarm reasonably clear of hair and look after my clothing (hanging clothes up to air before putting into the washbasket), I don't find I have any problems with smells! I've also seen recommendations to apply natural deodorant before bed, to let it start working overnight. Also worth bearing in mind some natural deodorants contained bicarbonate of soda, some don't, and people's mileage can really vary on whether bicarb works for them or irritates the skin.

I'd recommend trying a few different types of natural deodorant and bearing in mind there is a transition period when you stop using aluminium! So be prepared that it may get worse before it gets better. But I'm so glad made the switch (even though I had no choice).
Omg thank you so much for this very detailed post! I naively hadn’t thought about it this much so this is super helpful, thank you. I know what you’re saying re: sugar cane packaging, that was in part why I’ve been so suspicious of these startup subscription services because how can anything that’s clearly here to make a quick buck actually be good for the planet? I hadn’t thought to check lush but I trust them too, and love that it’s nil packaging!

I’m ngl my existing spray deodorant isn’t even that great at preventing smell some days (sorry for being grim!) so I’m not that fussed about a transition process tbh.

Join CH thread on here!

Honestly, I would stick to Vaseline while your skin is healing. I know you’ll have heard awful things if you’ve followed Hirons in the past but all dermatologists recommend it as a nighttime moisturiser.

It might be an idea to go to your doctor, you could have an allergy and skin being damaged, especially near your eyes, is concerning.

Join CH thread on here!

Honestly, I would stick to Vaseline while your skin is healing. I know you’ll have heard awful things if you’ve followed Hirons in the past but all dermatologists recommend it as a nighttime moisturiser.
My skin overall looks much, much better. I use an SPF for day and Weleda Skin Food light at night and if I feel I need a little exfoliation I use Garnier Vitamin C serum a few times a week - all on my face, not my eye area. It’s only the skin on my eyes that’s like this, I can trace it back to using Hada Labo hydrator and her tip where whilst not directly applying actives to the eye area, having the residue on your fingers when applying your eye product.

Thanks @thegirlscout

I used this one when the skin around my eyes went extremely dry and sensitive and it really helped so much

ETA the skin around my eyes sounds like what you described yours as

Last edited:
I can confirm that CT Hollywood Filter and Collection Filter Finish are virtually identical. The only difference I can discern is about £30 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.