Actually Honest - skincare & makeup reviews #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got a revlon blusher I had a while ago but I accidentally smashed it. Forgot about it. I loved it !!! Think it was out of stock ( story of my friggin life ) when I tried to get it again
And got a pink benefit highlighter which I think will go nice over the top 🥰
If you still have the pieces you can re-press them into a container. I used to do it years ago to make my own eyeshadow palettes. Just google repotting powder makeup, or here's an example that I've not watched but does seem to include the main points.

If you still have the pieces you can re-press them into a container. I used to do it years ago to make my own eyeshadow palettes. Just google repotting powder makeup, or here's an example that I've not watched but does seem to include the main points.

Oh I smashed it all over the floor. The hard tiles turned it to dust 🤪. Thanks tho x x

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Can anyone recommend a good budget retinol? I’ve been using the medik8 crystal retinal 3 but coming to the end of the tube and can’t really afford £50 to replace it

Reactions: 1
Can anyone recommend a good budget retinol? I’ve been using the medik8 crystal retinal 3 but coming to the end of the tube and can’t really afford £50 to replace it
I’m using the Inkey List - I really like it.

Hi everyone, my first time posting on this thread! 👋🏻 Could you help me introduce some vitamin C products into my routine?

I’m in my 20s with combination skin, sometimes slightly dehydrated. I don’t have many skin concerns apart from an occasional spot here and there and some fine/emotion lines on my forehead.

I’ve been thinking of introducing some Garnier Vitamin C products, my routine would be as follows:

AM:
Cleanser: La Roshe Posay Cicaplast b5 gel lavant
Moisturizer: Garnier Vitamin C serum cream + Garnier Vitamin C serum
SPF: La Roshe Posay Anthelios SPF 50+

PM:
Cleanser: Garnier Micellar Water + La Roshe Posay cicaplast b5 gel lavant
Moisturizer: Pixi Glow Tonic (every two days) + La Roshe Posay Cicaplast Baume

Any thoughts or improvements? I’m already using Cicaplast and Pixi Glow and liking the results. Also, is Weleda Skin Food better than Cicaplast?

Hi everyone, my first time posting on this thread! 👋🏻 Could you help me introduce some vitamin C products into my routine?

I’m in my 20s with combination skin, sometimes slightly dehydrated. I don’t have many skin concerns apart from an occasional spot here and there and some fine/emotion lines on my forehead.

I’ve been thinking of introducing some Garnier Vitamin C products, my routine would be as follows:

AM:

PM:

Any thoughts or improvements? I’m already using Cicaplast and Pixi Glow and liking the results. Also, is Weleda Skin Food better than Cicaplast?
Hi 🙂

the only advice I have to offer is be careful what you use alongside vit c products ( for example I’d avoid vitamin c/aha toners - which I think the pixi toner maybe).

• Heart
Reactions: 3

AM:

PM:

I would slot a vitamin c serum after cleansing and before moisturiser in your AM routine but, as mentioned above, keep the Pixi glow tonic for PM. 😊

• Heart
Hi 🙂

the only advice I have to offer is be careful what you use alongside vit c products ( for example I’d avoid vitamin c/aha toners - which I think the pixi toner maybe).
I would slot a vitamin c serum after cleansing and before moisturiser in your AM routine but, as mentioned above, keep the Pixi glow tonic for PM. 😊
Thank you both so much! 🥰 Is it okay to use the tonic in the evening if I use vitamin C in the morning? I’ve read it’s fine to use both vitamin C and acid in your routine if you apply them at different times of day, but I don’t know for sure, I know very little about skincare.

Reactions: 2
Thank you both so much! 🥰 Is it okay to use the tonic in the evening if I use vitamin C in the morning? I’ve read it’s fine to use both vitamin C and acid in your routine if you apply them at different times of day, but I don’t know for sure, I know very little about skincare.
Yes as far as I’m aware this should be fine. Have you heard of Caroline Hirons?( she has a thread on tattle and is very marmite personality wise -ie love her or dislike her). Anyway if you disregard the promotion/ favouritism of certain ( usually expensive) brands her book is worth buying to learn more about what works with what / other skin issues). The book is called skin care rocks ( she also used to have a section on her website with information worksheets) but whether these are still there I don’t know.

• Heart
Is anyone able to help with a basic skincare routine, want to really look after my skin this year, not too many stages so I can stick to it am and pm everyday 🙈😂😂

At the moment I double cleanse with elemis cleansing balm and then either garnier micellar water or Superdrug naturally radiant cleanser.

Then for tonic I either use the Superdrug glycolic tonic or the REN ready steady flow tonic
Then la Roche posay retinol 1/2 a week
Clinique moisture surge as a moisturer

is there anything else I can add in? Maybe a vitamin c.
I do notice my cheeks can become red and sensitive at times, am I swapping the cleansers and toners round too often?
I had my very first proper facial on Saturday, the therapist put together a plan specifically for me so obvs might not be appropriate for you, but I couldn’t believe how simple a regime she was suggesting! No toner, no exfoliater, don’t bother with 99% of the millions of products I’ve been buying 😂 and only use moisturiser if I want to, it’s not essential. My skin was terrible and some of it was down to my applying every product I own with no clue what I was doing.

AM
Exuviance gentle creme cleanser
Heliocare 360 oil free SPF 50 suncream

PM
Simple oil cleanser
Medik8 retinal 6 every other day for a few weeks, then every day

I’ve only been doing it since Sunday but my skin looks and feels amazing

Reactions: 5
Yes as far as I’m aware this should be fine. Have you heard of Caroline Hirons?( she has a thread on tattle and is very marmite personality wise -ie love her or dislike her). Anyway if you disregard the promotion/ favouritism of certain ( usually expensive) brands her book is worth buying to learn more about what works with what / other skin issues). The book is called skin care rocks ( she also used to have a section on her website with information worksheets) but whether these are still there I don’t know.
Thank you, I’ll look into the book you mentioned! Really appreciate the input 😊

I had my very first proper facial on Saturday, the therapist put together a plan specifically for me so obvs might not be appropriate for you, but I couldn’t believe how simple a regime she was suggesting! No toner, no exfoliater, don’t bother with 99% of the millions of products I’ve been buying 😂 and only use moisturiser if I want to, it’s not essential. My skin was terrible and some of it was down to my applying every product I own with no clue what I was doing.

AM

PM
Simple oil cleanser

I do think people are applying too many products, and sometime quite harsh products. Think it’s all just to make women spend more and more on products, and more time doing the regimes. Women used to be chained to the kitchen sink, now it’s the bathroom one. And sometimes I feel the need to don a lab coat going to Boots. The choice of products is now bewildering. My skin looks better when I take a less is more approach.

Reactions: 12

AM

PM
Simple oil cleanser

This is so interesting. What kind of facial did you have?. I'm hoping to book a facial as I need this kind of information!

• Heart
I do think people are applying too many products, and sometime quite harsh products. Think it’s all just to make women spend more and more on products, and more time doing the regimes. Women used to be chained to the kitchen sink, now it’s the bathroom one. And sometimes I feel the need to don a lab coat going to Boots. The choice of products is now bewildering. My skin looks better when I take a less is more approach.
I agree, I was definitely applying too much - I just can’t resist a beauty box! less is more is the way I’ll go from now on, I was doing more harm than good.

The lady I saw also championed reasonable priced skin care - she said you’re paying for marketing/advertising and a nice scent, and plenty of cheaper products are just as good e.g the only difference between creme de La mer moisturiser and Nivea moisturiser is the scent and one has water infused with seaweed, the other water with no infusion. It was fascinating!

Reactions: 4
This is so interesting. What kind of facial did you have?. I'm hoping to book a facial as I need this kind of information!
The facial I had included a cleanse, extraction, peel, microcurrent and LED, and a really nice massage with lymphatic techniques. I was getting a bit podgy under my chin and I’m convinced it’s nearly gone 😂 think there were some oils involved too.

I had no idea what facial I needed, just that as I’m mid 30s I wanted to take more care of my problem skin, and it was a gift from my sisters so thankfully I didn’t have to try and figure out what I needed, there are so many on offer.

I agree, I was definitely applying too much - I just can’t resist a beauty box! less is more is the way I’ll go from now on, I was doing more harm than good.

The lady I saw also championed reasonable priced skin care - she said you’re paying for marketing/advertising and a nice scent, and plenty of cheaper products are just as good e.g the only difference between creme de La mer moisturiser and Nivea moisturiser is the scent and one has water infused with seaweed, the other water with no infusion. It was fascinating!
La Mer broke me out! It was a sample pot but I had horrible spots and one scarred quite badly.
Same with Vitamin C, my skin can’t tolerate it.

The thing is I like using bougie products haha. That’s my vice!

Reactions: 4
Please don’t spend your money on the book! It’s basically her blog in book form - all the info is available for free. But I really would recommend following some actual dermatologists for skin care advice.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.