Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone tried the la roche posay redermic retinol product? I'm thinking of trying it as I'm new to retinol and really like their other products.. effaclar duo and b5 serum have really sorted my spots out. I'm 28 and would like to prevent wrinkles.

Also what are everyone's favourite eye creams/serums which reduces fine lines? Do any actually work?!

Last edited:
Hyaluronic acid IS tacky, in my experience. I have the Hada Labo premium (amazing value for such a huge bottle) and it is quite tacky. But I find the more you massage it in, the less sticky it feels. I also layer other products on top which helps.
This looks good, thank you. May I ask where you buy your hada labo? I’m wary about ordering from amazon.

Has anyone tried the la roche posay redermic retinol product? I'm thinking of trying it as I'm new to retinol and really like their other products.. effaclar duo and b5 serum have really sorted my spots out. I'm 28 and would like to prevent wrinkles.

Also what are everyone's favourite eye creams/serums which reduces fine lines? Do any actually work?!
I tried LRP retinol a few years ago, I didn’t mind it but I felt The Ordinary’s outperformed it and was far cheaper. However The LRP one comes in a metal tube which is better for product longevity and nicer to use.

I used LRP effaclar duo+ for ages, it did wonders for my skin. Realised it was the niacinamide so again switched to The Ordinary as it’s far cheaper. However... from memory effaclar duo+ doubled up as a lovely smoothing, slightly mattifying base whereas TO niacinamide is a basic gel formula.

For lines around the eyes I’ve never bothered with anything specific, just used various vit a products / tretinoin. I don’t even use it in the eye area, I think it seeps in from nearby and takes care of the lines like some sort of miracle.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I think it's just about trying to keep that area hydrated (at least at your age). I don't have any lines around my eyes (35 years old), they've set camp on my forehead, and nothing I used minimised them.

Reactions: 4
I think it's just about trying to keep that area hydrated (at least at your age). I don't have any lines around my eyes (35 years old), they've set camp on my forehead, and nothing I used minimised them.
I am 29, and don’t have any wrinkles around the eye area, but I am forming them on the forehead... particularly frown line / between eyebrows. I don’t think that there’s anything you can do to prevent them here as it’s due to frowning... I’m interested in getting Botox soon to soften and prevent them from getting deeper.

I am 29, and don’t have any wrinkles around the eye area, but I am forming them on the forehead... particularly frown line / between eyebrows. I don’t think that there’s anything you can do to prevent them here as it’s due to frowning... I’m interested in getting Botox soon to soften and prevent them from getting deeper.
I've been getting botox for a few years and would highly recommend! 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Botox is really very good. Works out reasonably affordable if you go twice a year and just get one area done. Then it comes to about £150 every quarter/£50 per month.
Not super cheap obviously but if wrinkles bother you then it’s soooo effective.

It’s also good if your face is very expressive and you want to avoid screwing your face into a frown in every meeting.

Reactions: 4
Sure yes, the pharmacy or some evidence about the results? Or both!

This is a nice summary:

This is more of a practical guide:

I will send you a pm with the pharmacy details!
Please could you message me the pharmacy details as well?

Thank you!

I’m 35 and trying my first round of Botox next week after a consultation last week. I have a deep horizontal line across my forehead that I’d like to prevent getting any deeper! Friend of mine has had excellent results on frown lines between her eyebrows.

It’s also good if your face is very expressive and you want to avoid screwing your face into a frown in every meeting.
I once got told off for raising my eyebrows incredulously too many times in a meeting where some of my superiors were talking a spectacular amount of shite so hopefully that’ll be a side effect for me :m

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I once got told off for raising my eyebrows incredulously too many times in a meeting where some of my superiors were talking a spectacular amount of shite so hopefully that’ll be a side effect for me :m
It’s been a while since I had Botox last (must go back), but one thing I love about it is being able to hide some of my more pissed off facial expressions in the office 😀.

Reactions: 2
Botox is amazing for, like a previous poster said, if you have an expressionate face

My forehead is soo expressionate so I've been getting it for years to prevent lines from developing (my brothers both have quite deep forehead wrinkles, they're only a couple years older than me lol)

I love that it's affordable, lasts a fair amount of time and there's hardly any down time or recovery. I can get it done on my lunch break and go back to work

Also has anyone used the Khiels moisturiser? Is it good?

Reactions: 1
Does anyone else here have dry skin and has found a daytime moisturiser which sits under SPF and tinted moisturiser nicely?
Not sure how well this would work with an already less pigmented tinted moisturiser but I do enjoy mixing a bit of facial oil (favourite right now is tamanu oil) in with whatever base I’m using.

I thought I had discovered my holy grail cleansing balm.

It’s the A’Pieu naked peeling cleansing balm which I bought from YesStyle. I’ve just tried to add it to my shopping list for future purchase and they no longer stock it! 😭.

eBay here I come.

If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend it. The pores on my forehead have never looked so clean.
Thank you for your recommendation for A’Pieu. I have been using their cleansing balm and it’s so good for removing make up, I love it. I did however buy my pot from eBay, so I do not know how legitimate it is.

Hello 👋lovely people. You’re all so knowledgable so I’d love to pick your brains. To be honest I’m a bit clueless beauty-wise and what I really want/need is someone to tell me what products to use 🤣or tell me where I’m going wrong!

Don’t judge me but I am early 20s and it’s only in the past three-ish years I’ve even started any kind of skincare regime! I have oily skin and get angry red spots regularly. I also have blackheads that I can’t get rid of.

I used to use Liz Earle cleanse and polish as a cleanser and really liked it but at about £16 a pop I’ve swapped for Superdrug’s own brand hot cloth cleanser which I am finding ok. I used to follow that with Pixi Glow tonic, again I really liked this but it’s expensive so I swapped for The Ordinary Glycolic acid 7% as it was recommended to me but I don’t like it and find it too harsh/burny/ doesn’t give me the same results as Glow Tonic did.

I’m probably going to get told off for this but I’ve never really used a night cream or moisturised on a night after using the glycolic acid because I’m worried it’ll make my skin more oily!! Any recommendations ? I use a moisturiser in the day time, with SPF.

Please advise me what might work for my oily skin. I’ve even just started a Dermatica subscription for help with the spots so I’ll see how that goes but obviously it’s a big financial commitment

Extra question - I’m Scared of aging and my family have lots of frown lines, I’m only early 20s, is it stupid to get Botox as a preventative measure? 🤷‍♀️

Advice for Christmas gift please!
If someone asks for a nice facial product for dry skin what would you recommend? I'm thinking of the Blue Orchid oil - haven't tried it myself. I'm thinking up to £40 and hoping to get it at the airport which has a very decent selection. She has dry skin that can be sensitive. Thank you in advance!

@Jelly Bean Maybe something from L'Occitaine's shea butter line (they have a light moisturiser and an ultra rich version which could be a contender in this case, as well as an oil), I've tried the light version and it didn't cause any issues even though it has some perfume at the bottom of the INCI list (not sure how sensitive her skin is). Nuxe had a great line - Nirvanesque which I enjoyed very much (also has a light and rich version). The prices are around 25 quid.

I’m probably going to get told off for this but I’ve never really used a night cream or moisturised on a night after using the glycolic acid because I’m worried it’ll make my skin more oily!!
I see you posted this some time ago, so not sure if this is too late.

Not telling you off, but :D sometimes skin gets more oily if you deprive it of moisture, so ti "overcompensates". A light moisturiser, like a gel, should be OK, maybe the Neutrogena gel moisturiser or Clinique Moisture surge? Or Hada Labo's lotions with hyaluronic acid? I think it's too soon to get botox, but that's just my unprofessional opinion, just wear SPF and be careful about sun exposure, especially since you're using acids. Hope this was somewhat helpful!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Whoever recommended A’PIEU Naked Peeling Cleansing Balm - thank you! I ordered a pot from eBay. Although I question it’s legitimacy, it’s awesome! I’ve not found anything as affective for removing a full face of make up... even stubborn mascara and eye make up... it just melts it away!

• Heart
Advice for Christmas gift please!
If someone asks for a nice facial product for dry skin what would you recommend? I'm thinking of the Blue Orchid oil - haven't tried it myself. I'm thinking up to £40 and hoping to get it at the airport which has a very decent selection. She has dry skin that can be sensitive. Thank you in advance!
I can highly recommend Dr Sam Bunting’s Daily moisturiser (£26) and/or Nightly flawless serum (£39). She also sells basic cleanser which is brilliant, especially for slightly oilier skin and a fantastic SPF cream which works great underneath makeup. There is no fragrance in her products (this is very important because fragrances can be irritating to the skin) and a host of very good quality, clean active ingredients (serum also has retinol). I have dry sensitive skin and I have been using these for over 5 months and I’m really happy with the results. On Dr Sam’s website you have videos that show you how to use her products, and Dr Sam has both a dermatology clinic in Harley Street and lots of YouTube videos about skincare and skin conditions. Worth a look! xx

Reactions: 2
I can highly recommend Dr Sam Bunting’s Daily moisturiser (£26) and/or Nightly flawless serum (£39). She also sells basic cleanser which is brilliant, especially for slightly oilier skin and a fantastic SPF cream which works great underneath makeup. There is no fragrance in her products (this is very important because fragrances can be irritating to the skin) and a host of very good quality, clean active ingredients (serum also has retinol). I have dry sensitive skin and I have been using these for over 5 months and I’m really happy with the results. On Dr Sam’s website you have videos that show you how to use her products, and Dr Sam has both a dermatology clinic in Harley Street and lots of YouTube videos about skincare and skin conditions. Worth a look! xx
I second this :) though currently using cerave moisturiser in the AM as it has SPF and I don’t need an extra product. The night time Serum Is great for first time retinol users ans those with sensitive dry skin like mine!

I’ve just bought a set from NIOD (more expensive/better formulated version of the ordinary from the same brand) that was on qvc, and included copper isolate serum and their multi molecular hylaluronic and I’ve never noticed such a dramatic change to my skin!! 🙌🏻🙌🏻

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.