Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a straightening brush? Looking to get one for my mum for Christmas. She had a stroke and is finding doing her hair tricky. She has fine, thing hair. So I’m thinking she can air dry and use a brush as less fiddly than straightening it.
ideally I’d like to keep it under £50. As nice as the god glide is, I don’t want to spend £130 on something that doesn’t work for her.

The babyliss one is utterly rubbish. Please don’t waste your money on it. I didn’t have high hopes for it but it was worse than my best thought!

Have you thought about straightening combs? I have very curly thick hair and my next purchase will certainly be a comb. You need a smaller “slice” of hair but they work surprisingly well. Any good Afro Caribbean shop should stock them.

Reactions: 2
I thought I had discovered my holy grail cleansing balm.

It’s the A’Pieu naked peeling cleansing balm which I bought from YesStyle. I’ve just tried to add it to my shopping list for future purchase and they no longer stock it! 😭.

eBay here I come.

If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend it. The pores on my forehead have never looked so clean.

It’s a vitamin A which works by turning your skin cells over more quickly and thickening the skin so it appears plumper. It is proven with robust research to improve acne and wrinkles.

Retinol is the catch all term for the cosmetic items available in boots or The Ordinary, etc.

Tretinoin is the name of the prescription strength which is the one all the beauty gurus use for that glassy skin look.

Both require commitment as the side effect profile is a bit annoying - you get more sensitive to UV damage and can get very sore and flaky skin. You have to give your skin a lot of TLC whilst you get used to it and you have to wear SPF every single day.

People usually start at a mild version and move up in strength gradually over months or years. You start using it once to twice per week and build up until one day you can use the high strength every day and you look like a 5 year old!

those with acne often get a ‘purge’ in the first weeks or months when their acne increases but on the whole those people who stick with it then get a real decrease in spots. It can also help with scarring and pigmentation.

Reactions: 4
It’s a vitamin A which works by turning your skin cells over more quickly and thickening the skin so it appears plumper. It is proven with robust research to improve acne and wrinkles.

Retinol is the catch all term for the cosmetic items available in boots or The Ordinary, etc.

Tretinoin is the name of the prescription strength which is the one all the beauty gurus use for that glassy skin look.

Both require commitment as the side effect profile is a bit annoying - you get more sensitive to UV damage and can get very sore and flaky skin. You have to give your skin a lot of TLC whilst you get used to it and you have to wear SPF every single day.

People usually start at a mild version and move up in strength gradually over months or years. You start using it once to twice per week and build up until one day you can use the high strength every day and you look like a 5 year old!

those with acne often get a ‘purge’ in the first weeks or months when their acne increases but on the whole those people who stick with it then get a real decrease in spots. It can also help with scarring and pigmentation.
Thank you!

Can you recommend any brands that offer a low strength ?

The ordinary have a few in different strengths and formulations.

I’ve not tried Paula’s choice products but have heard good reviews of their retinols.

i will have a look at the Superdrug ingredients and let you know if they look any good.

There is also the Inkey list products at a good price point but I’ve not looked into them. I saw a tranexamic acid product from them for hyperpigmentation on the video @PineappleQueen19 linked upthread. It looked really good so made me think they might have other decent products in their lineup.

I really want to change up my make up and I’m looking for some cream blush tips. I like the idea of them (apparently powder blushes can be ageing and I’m not too far off my 40th birthday so...) but I find they look patchy and disturb my foundation. Also, are you supposed to use powder before or after you apply cream blush?

(Don’t make me give up finishing powder - I know dewy skin is all the rage but my skin is sill on the oily side and I don’t feel “done” without it!)

I’m also on the look out for a new foundation. The one I currently use is from QVC and not always available. I’m intrigued by The Ordinary’s foundations which have pretty good reviews and are so cheap. Also like that they offer shades for pink toned skin because the one I use right now is too yellow. Anyone tried them?

I don't powder over my cream blush, I put it over my foundation and if using a setting powder, I avoid the blush area. However, some cream blushes went fine after powdering, e.g. Illamasqua or Becca cheek paints. Sometimes I use a lipstick as a cream blush, I smear it in the palm of my hand and use fingers to warm it up and sheer it out a bit and then pat on my face (I do this with cream blushes as well) or mix them with an illuminating primer. I don't know if this was of any help :D

Reactions: 1
@midnightrose from what I can see, the Superdrug retinol options are Retinyl-Palimate which i think is the weakest form (please somebody correct me if I’m wrong!!)

it might be a good one to start with to get yourself used to it?

@midnightrose from what I can see, the Superdrug retinol options are Retinyl-Palimate which i think is the weakest form (please somebody correct me if I’m wrong!!)

it might be a good one to start with to get yourself used to it?
Thanks so much. I’ve also used Medik8 and currently use their vit c serum. I’m a fan of their products. Saw this on their website, so I think I’ll start with the lowest dose first.
6D0512A1-41D1-42A1-B156-F6C3C81C50D5.png

I really want to change up my make up and I’m looking for some cream blush tips. I like the idea of them (apparently powder blushes can be ageing and I’m not too far off my 40th birthday so...) but I find they look patchy and disturb my foundation. Also, are you supposed to use powder before or after you apply cream blush?

(Don’t make me give up finishing powder - I know dewy skin is all the rage but my skin is sill on the oily side and I don’t feel “done” without it!)

I’m also on the look out for a new foundation. The one I currently use is from QVC and not always available. I’m intrigued by The Ordinary’s foundations which have pretty good reviews and are so cheap. Also like that they offer shades for pink toned skin because the one I use right now is too yellow. Anyone tried them?
I also will not give up setting powder, and I manage fine with Glossier Cloud Paint. It’s more liquid than a cream blush so I find it easier to blend.

Oh amazing! What is Medik8? I haven’t heard of it before. Is it a pharmacy type brand?
Yep!

‘Medik8 skincare products & treatments are developed and formulated by a team of biochemists and pharmacologists in an ISO audited, specially-built research facility located in London, UK. Medik8's serums are handmade in small quantity to ensure freshness potency of actives.
Medik8 skincare products & treatments are specifically formulated to target: skin-ageing, skin blemishes, redness, pigmentation and dryness.’

Does anyone else here have dry skin and has found a daytime moisturiser which sits under SPF and tinted moisturiser nicely?

What are your favourite hyaluronic acids? I find the ones from The Ordinary ok to use at night time but a bit too tacky for the day.

Does anyone else here have dry skin and has found a daytime moisturiser which sits under SPF and tinted moisturiser nicely?
I have skin as dry as the desert. I homemade a scrub out of yogurt/honey/coffee grinds and gently buff once a week. Then I use a mask from a green beauty co that comes powdered and you mix up up oils/oat milk/yoghurt yourself.

Then I use ordinary hyaluronic acid, organic rose water and rosehip or Argan oil. I also use the ordinary natural moisturising factors if I’m super dry or it’s a long time since my mask day 😂

Hyaluronic acid IS tacky, in my experience. I have the Hada Labo premium (amazing value for such a huge bottle) and it is quite tacky. But I find the more you massage it in, the less sticky it feels. I also layer other products on top which helps.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.