Abusive Males In Relationships

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

As a man I think way more has to be done to protect females and deal with abusive males. I get some relationships the man gets physically attacked by their woman, but in the grand scheme of things it's rare in comparison. Nobody should feel scared of their other half or under their control and court sentences for these people could never be good enough. If every time the press cover a story on the subject a link got posted in here, nobody would be surprised how quickly this thread grows.

Take the link I posted as example one. He is 26 and she's still a teenager. They have been together three years and so he was 23 and wanted to be with someone barely legal, which should raise a red flag straight away. Three years one for every year they were together is not enough. He used her and when he gets out no woman should ever want to go near him.

Reactions: 4
I agree sentencing needs to be tougher. The effect that domestic abuse has on the victim lasts for a lifetime, they're the ones who really serve the sentence. The perpetrator is often free within a couple of years.

In my town a girl got attacked by acid, arranged by her ex partner who had been abusing her for years. She's now permanently damaged and although she's moved on with someone else and done things with her life, she'll forever be scarred by what he's done. He's due out of prison soon and I can't imagine how nerve-wracking that must be for her.

I don't think it matters or is even relevant to discuss that women being the abuser is "rare in comparison" to men being the abuser. I'd also argue that there's probably a lot of cases where the man is the victim which go unreported because men are afraid to speak up and admit their female partner has been abusing them. The law on domestic abuse needs to be tougher, regardless of whether the abuser was male or female.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I completely agree. I also think that domestic violence should be able to be charged as a community offence (I know this isn't the right term but hopefully you will know what I mean) .. the house next door to me I have reported so many times for domestic violence. I can hear it regularly and its very obvious. But as the woman does not wish to press charges (i completely understand that she is afraid and coerced etc etc) there is no punishment or protection. The police should have more power to say you've been reported by your neighbours numerous times etc so we're now chasing this as antisocial behaviour if they can't go for a domestic violence charge

Reactions: 3
In my town a girl got attacked by acid, arranged by her ex partner who had been abusing her for years. She's now permanently damaged and although she's moved on with someone else and done things with her life, she'll forever be scarred by what he's done. He's due out of prison soon and I can't imagine how nerve-wracking that must be for her.
I think acid attacks are the most heinous, diabolical and cowardly acts of violence possible 🤬. Trying to absolutely obliterate someone’s features and, if they survive, they have to see the effects every time they see their own reflection. Not to mention all the health issues.
People responsible for these types in f attacks should get a life sentence, IMO

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I get some relationships the man gets physically attacked by their woman, but in the grand scheme of things it's rare in comparison.
Not really. According to the England & Wales Crime Survey 31% of reported domestic abuse is by women against men, and in the 16yo-59yo age bracket 35% of those reporting domestic abuse within the last year were men (2018 figures).

The overall figures report twice as many women experiencing domestic abuse but the numbers don't suggest it's a rarity for men any more than it is for women: 4% of men and 8% of women aged between 16 and 59 surveyed said they had experienced domestic abuse within the last year. That equates to an estimated 695,000 men and 1.3 million women.

An interesting stat is that in same-sex couples the incidents of reported domestic violence is way higher in female couples than male couples. Also interesting is that while indisputably women suffer domestic violence at a higher rate, female on male violence is more likely to be lethal.

I'm all for burying abusive males under the prison yard but it's not a one-sided problem.

Reactions: 4
I was a victim of domestic violence and honestly it completely changes you. I was so controlled and emotionally abused I used to defend my ex, I forgave him so many times when he would hurt me as he would always blame it on me. In the end he strangled, kicked me and head butted me cracking my forehead open. In doing that I couldn’t hide the physical abuse anymore.
I didn’t press charges against him for over a year as he turned the situation around on himself blaming his mental health for hurting me.
I struggled with my mental health for years after.

I was a victim of domestic violence and honestly it completely changes you. I was so controlled and emotionally abused I used to defend my ex, I forgave him so many times when he would hurt me as he would always blame it on me. In the end he strangled, kicked me and head butted me cracking my forehead open. In doing that I couldn’t hide the physical abuse anymore.
I didn’t press charges against him for over a year as he turned the situation around on himself blaming his mental health for hurting me.
I struggled with my mental health for years after.
So was I, as well as physically abusive he was also incredibly emotionally abusive, this was my first relationship and 15 years later, despite therapy etc it has had a lasting effect. I wish the warning signs of this were taught in schools, had I had any awareness of how the relationship would end up I would have left very early on and saved myself a lot of issues, looking back with what I know now all of the signs were very clear

Reactions: 2
I think acid attacks are the most heinous, diabolical and cowardly acts of violence possible 🤬. Trying to absolutely obliterate someone’s features and, if they survive, they have to see the effects every time they see their own reflection. Not to mention all the health issues.
People responsible for these types in f attacks should get a life sentence, IMO
It's the final act of control too isn't it? "You will no longer see yourself when you look in the mirror, you'll see me what I did to you. If I can't have you, I'll do whatever I can to make sure nobody else does" etc. Such a disgusting crime.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
So was I, as well as physically abusive he was also incredibly emotionally abusive, this was my first relationship and 15 years later, despite therapy etc it has had a lasting effect. I wish the warning signs of this were taught in schools, had I had any awareness of how the relationship would end up I would have left very early on and saved myself a lot of issues, looking back with what I know now all of the signs were very clear
@emm I know what you mean my ex was my first real serious relationship I would like to say I was young but I was 24 and he took away every bit of confidence I had. Looking back you could see the warning signs but then he reeled me in hook line and sinker. They defiantly do need to teach young girls the signs to look out for but even then I used to read stories like this when I was younger and think it would never happen to me!

• Heart