A Instagram purge experiment!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have had a love hate relationship with Instagram for a while now.
Some influencers just drove me crazy with their crappy greedy lives.
I have probably been in Insta since the start.
It's changed so much it's become dominated by influencers and brands all trying to sell us stuff and living there best lives.
Many posting body/life and home perfection.
Due to algorithms theres accounts I used to love that I don't see on my feed.
Over the years I started following some random people depending where life was at ie baby, diet, fitness/ home , celebs, infleuencers a real mix.
It's only now I go through them and had a full that I realise it's mad everyone should have a digital clear out more often.
Deleted anyone with bikini shots as profile.
Deleted most brands.
Nearly all mummy vloggers/ bloggers even ones that were so so as realised it was making me feel crap.
I can still look if I search I don't have to follow.
Which means on my down days I'm protected but on good days maybe I might have a browse.
You can also see influencers stories off Insta and browse their account as a non follower.
Being on Tattle has made me think the majority of them are unrelatable and make me feel tit.
As soon as they get a big following they change.
Over the last few weeks reduced from 1200 followers to 800.
The result I'm now seeing people I used to love come back on my feed.
So I urge everyone have clear out if they don't spark joy they gone.
Infleuencers are always saying if you don't like me unfollow.
We often moan on various threads here how we can't stand the greed so unfollow reduce their follower count and engagment as many don't appreciate their followers anyways.
I first start looking at list and doing quick cull.
Others I then have to review my feed look at each individual account and ask myself does this account add any value to my feed.
I'm being ruthless.
This article is good maybe 1/3 drag queens/1/3friends and 1/3 dogs is way to go.
I don't want to give up the platform I want to reclaim it and control over what I see.
Until you have a clear out you won't realise the you just see same old influencers on feed as the larger accounts/ bigger engagment gives them too spot on your feed due to the algorithms.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Love this!!! Will definitely be following suit!
It really does work now seeing people I been following for ages on my feed the influencers were blocking the smaller ones.
Also slowly trying find some great new accounts to follow.
Make your follows count.
If they don't respect you and take you for granted then get rid life's too short.

Reactions: 4
It really does work now seeing people I been following for ages on my feed the influencers were blocking the smaller ones.
Also slowly trying find some great new accounts to follow.
Make your follows count.
If they don't respect you and take you for granted then get rid life's too short.
I highly recommend Sweary Mum, Two Dads in London, The Mother Hen, The Long Mum and SJ Strum.
They are my fave accounts. Honest and real and make me feel good 👍🏻

Going to take some time over the next few days to get rid of the deadwood clogging up my feed

Reactions: 1
I was doing this this morning. I’m sick of feeling crap about myself and I’m also sick of spending money I don’t have so I’m saying goodbye to all the Instafloggers 👋

I remember the days when Instagram was just somewhere to put an old fashioned filter on your photos 😂. When you think about that vs what it is now it’s crazy.

I was doing this this morning. I’m sick of feeling crap about myself and I’m also sick of spending money I don’t have so I’m saying goodbye to all the Instafloggers 👋

I remember the days when Instagram was just somewhere to put an old fashioned filter on your photos 😂. When you think about that vs what it is now it’s crazy.
I absolutely loved it back then was about making my photos look good as I dident have a fancy pants camera.
It made me genuinally love photography and engaged with artists not these charleton digital creators mostly making A.D.
It's taking me ages mind but I can see effects on my feed on my after a few days from unfollowing 400 .
I had not ever keep checking on who I was following as it all happened over many years.
We change as we grow and I don't want the overcommercial unrealistic lives on my feed making me feel crap.

This account is amazing photos he's deserves more followers

Reactions: 2
I love this. I did that same and started seeing some people I really love come up on my feed. I find that it’s really rare to find people that don’t change when they get loads of followers. The ones that I stick with even though they’ve got bigger are badmamsclub, imwingingittoo and throughamiseyes although she’s not got that many followers yet which is probably why I still like her

I love this. I did that same and started seeing some people I really love come up on my feed. I find that it’s really rare to find people that don’t change when they get loads of followers. The ones that I stick with even though they’ve got bigger are badmamsclub, imwingingittoo and throughamiseyes although she’s not got that many followers yet which is probably why I still like her
Step 2 is add I'm new people still trying to cull a few each day.
500 gone so far.
Not sure what my ideal amount is.
But I'm feeling more positive about Insta already.
Blocked some nasty vloggers.

Why did I not find this thread before?
It’s brilliant and yes, I’ve been culling more and more accounts. Instagram is not what it used to be. There’s too many egos wanting to be stroked and way too much competition. It’s not healthy.
To be honest, I’ve tried searching certain Instagram accounts on here to see if they have threads already going and not found any, yet recently the odd person has put a comment on a thread of certain accounts I’ve previously searched and i see there is in fact a thread that’s been going for a while.
Am I doing the whole search thing wrong?

Good for you!!!
Must admit, I had no idea people were following that many accounts. I get super anxious and would have drowned in self-loathing if I ever followed that many influenzas with their perfect insta-sham lives.
At the highest I was following 36 people. Of whom, 10 were influencers, the rest were athletes and musicians, and a handful of old friends.
Then I purged last year, keeping only 3 influencers, 2 musicians, and 5 athletes. I even unfollowed friends (and told them I would do so), preferring to meet for catch ups/speak on the phone rather than look at their highlights on insta.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I deleted my account all together. I now have only 6 insta accounts which are bookmarked on my browser- so I do not sign in to view them and I do not check their stories, I just visit the pages once a week and have a quick browse for new info they've posted.
Of those pages, 1 is a is a musician who releases her music on insta first, and the other 5 are sports-rehab related because they post excellent physiotherapy advice (which I use as I was injured in an accident). Each of those 6 pages brings something uplifting or helpful to my life.

My life is much lighter this way. I feel a lot less anxious and I feel more engaged in my surroundings. I'd definitely recommend minimalism when it comes to social media!

Edit: whoopsie! This is such an old thread. Glad it's been bumped though, we could all use a little reminder.

I think there maybe quite a few old threads of certain accounts that need bumping!! Not even sure how I came across this. Was just browsing while I had a spare few mins and was trying to find old accounts, if any at all.... 🤔🤷‍♀️