5:2 Diet

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thinking of giving it a go. Since lockdown my weight went up about 10lbs and has remained stagnant no matter what I do! I only drop 1lb-2lb. Went to drs who unhelpfully told me to up my aerobic exercise even though I do spin 2x a week and exceed 10,000 steps each day on top of this. My family have a history of under-active thyroids and I’ve been been tested but was normal however told if I do I it might not be presenting yet due to age! I also theorised i had i insulin resistance or pcos potentially but doctor wasn’t keen to investigate those theories…

My sister does the 5:2 and got great results, does anyone else have any advice or can share their experience is it worth it? I know it’s not a crash diet and looking at it more as a lifestyle change!

Reactions: 2
Hello hello!

I did this a couple years ago, it was quite successful and I lost a stone. However, i found after doing it for about 4 months it started to really affect how much energy I had (zero) and I was so so tired all the time.

As soon as I stopped I put the weight back on and some!

I would say give it a go, everyone is different and you have nothing to lose.

I joined the gym in April and have actually gone and made it part of my weekly routine, that and watching what I eat has given me the same results but in a much healthier way. At the grand old age of 37, I’ve learnt there is no quick fix and it has to be diet (no on a diet just mindful of what is going in) has to go hand in hand with exercise!

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I worry about this too but think anything is worth a shot at this time! My exercise regime is good and perhaps i’m just kidding myself think age is definitely also a big factor for me!

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I worry about this too but think anything is worth a shot at this time! My exercise regime is good and perhaps i’m just kidding myself think age is definitely also a big factor for me!
I say go for it, I did get good results to start with, just not sustainable for me.

I’ve found calorie tracking as boring as it is on MyFitnessPal was super helpful (especially when you’re already exercising well)

It might work for you but it’s not sustainable long term and it can get a bit obsessive. I would suggest time restricted eating like 16:8 instead as that can be a bit more sustainable long term. So you know what your BMR is? That might help you with figuring out calories

Reactions: 1
Yeah I know my BMR and track calories currently, I think this might give my metabolism a bit of a boost. I was dieting on and off when younger when I really didn’t have to be and think it’s affected me now! Slimming world worked until it didn’t, calorie counting ultimately does and I know it’s all about being in a calorie deficit! I’d love to not have think about it 😂

Reactions: 1
It might work for you but it’s not sustainable long term and it can get a bit obsessive. I would suggest time restricted eating like 16:8 instead as that can be a bit more sustainable long term. So you know what your BMR is? That might help you with figuring out calories
I do intermittent fasting 16:8 and it works wonders for me! I don’t think about what I’m eating at all in the 8 hours that I do (McDonald’s come at me 🤦🏼‍♀️) but still losing weight. It took a little while to get used to not snacking in the evenings but now I’m in the mindset it’s great!

• Heart