30 hours free childcare

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi

Just trying pre-empt our nursery costs from January when my little boy gets his 30 hours free

He will be doing 3 days a week all year (not just term time) so 51 weeks (nursery just closed 1 day at Christmas)

Does anyones child currently do this in the north (specifically West Yorkshire) and can give me a rough idea of monthly cost?

Thanks

Hiya, my little one currently goes to nursery 3 days a week and we're based in West Yorkshire. It'll depend on the daily cost at your preferred nursery but mine works out at around £29 a day with the 30 free hours and stretched over the full year.

You're maybe looking at around £350 for a 4 week month and I think £440ish for a 5 week month but again might vary depending on daily cost. You can still claim tax free childcare too.

Hope this helps!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi

Just trying pre-empt our nursery costs from January when my little boy gets his 30 hours free

He will be doing 3 days a week all year (not just term time) so 51 weeks (nursery just closed 1 day at Christmas)

Does anyones child currently do this in the north (specifically West Yorkshire) and can give me a rough idea of monthly cost?

Thanks
I’m not up north, but thought I’d add that when I was trying to budget for nursery fees I emailed them and asked, and got an exact figure from them. I didn’t know what nursery to send my child to so I emailed a few to see what the fees were and arrange visits.

Of course the fees might change between now and then, but it’s unlikely to go down, and at least you’ll have a figure to work with now rather than someone else’s figure that could be wildly different! Particularly when different nurseries include/exclude different things from their fees e.g nappies, sunscreen etc.

And like the previous posted said, don’t forget tax free childcare!

Nobody can really give you an idea because there's so many things it depends upon.

How long are the days?
Some nurseries are just 8 hours. Some are 10.
Does the day include lunch hour? Some do. Some don't.

Regardless of where you are in the country, nursery fees will still differ.
I have 2 nurseries within a mile of each other, one charges £50 a day, the other £80.

There's lots of things that will be different for everyone.

Can you contact the nursery and ask?

I did see you har a reply on the other thread basically saying the same things.

So is the free 30 hours not renewed every week? Is it 30 hours for a year?
There’s some really useful information here: https://www.gov.uk/30-hours-free-childcare

If you’re eligible…(copied from the website)…
“How you can use 30 hours free childcare
You can get 30 hours of free childcare per week for 38 weeks of the year (during school term time).

You may be able to get free childcare for 52 weeks if you use fewer than 30 hours per week. Check with your childcare provider to find out if this is something they offer.”

Hi

Thanks
I would get this figure from the nursery you plan to use, and make sure you are signed up to tax free childcare as well

So is the free 30 hours not renewed every week? Is it 30 hours for a year?
It's 30 hours per week but it's only during term time. (38 weeks a year, I think)
You can split the 30 hours across the whole year for nurseries that are all year round.
And you get around 22 hours a week

Reactions: 2
Hi all thanks for your replies. I emailed nursery yesterday and they confirmed 3 full days all year round would be £275 a month, I take it I can still get the 20% of tax free off this? Making it more like £220

I think we are gonna look into doing it term time anyway now i’ve had a word with grandparents which will save us loads thankfully!

Hi all thanks for your replies. I emailed nursery yesterday and they confirmed 3 full days all year round would be £275 a month, I take it I can still get the 20% of tax free off this? Making it more like £220

I think we are gonna look into doing it term time anyway now i’ve had a word with grandparents which will save us loads thankfully!
Yes you can use tax free childcare. I pay £135 a month using TFC, that is for 5 full days a week for a 3 year old but I’m in Scotland.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Hi! My nursery only let me use the 30 hours 9-3pm and charge 9.50 an hour for the other 4 hours, they also charge a consumable charge £8 a day. Does anyone know if this is allowed?
🙃

Hi! My nursery only let me use the 30 hours 9-3pm and charge 9.50 an hour for the other 4 hours, they also charge a consumable charge £8 a day. Does anyone know if this is allowed?
🙃
It is allowed, yes.
I was looking at a nursery before for 15 hours that wanted 20 hours minimum a week and then charged consumables and lunch hour on top too

🙃
Our consumables charge is £24 per day….. 😩

Sorry to sound really naive, but is everyone eligible for the 30 hours?and do you just apply via the government website? Do u only apply once you've found a nursery?