23 is too young to be a parent?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry if this is better suited for a parenting forum but i hate them so I'm posting it here lol

So Dani Dyer from Love Island has announced her pregnancy and I was reading the comments on the Daily Mail article about it and quite a few people are saying 23 is too young to be a parent. She is young but i personally don't think it is "too" young to be a mum but then i did have my first at 24 and i never felt too young.

At what age would you say someone is "too young" to be a mum/dad? How old were you when you had your first child?

Forgot to mention Dani is 23

I think it depends on the person. With these reality celebs I am always a bit sceptical as I think it's another way for them to remain relevant, e.g. the TOWIE girls mostly fell pregnant around about the same time (Lydia, Chloe, Dani and Lucy) as they didn't seem to have much else going on in their lives going on their insta accounts.

I know I am not ready for a child yet and I am mid 30s. Some people have maternal ways about them and are ready a lot sooner. I have friends from school, one is a mother of a 21 year old, one is a mother of a 16 year old, one has three kids under 10 and a few have toddlers so it just depends.

23 seems like an age where you would be mature enough to know what you kind of want, if that makes sense?

Reactions: 2
depends on the age. I had my first a few months ago at 24 and I felt ready to be a Mum. But there are others my age who aren't mature enough to be a parent šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: 5
I think the most important thing is their ability to parent and their maturity. Age is just a number. Personally I think itā€™s good to live a little before having kids but I am sure there are 17 year olds who are better parents than some people in their 30ā€™s. I wouldnā€™t have wanted kids at 23 just because Iā€™ve done a lot of travelling and just enjoyed going out with friends and having my freedom but if someone that age is ready to put a child first and really wants that child then I think thatā€™s not a bad thing and they are more likely to be around to see their grandchildren and great grandchildren one day

I think it's defintely down to the person. I wouldn't say 23 is too young, though I did think she was about 26.

I know someone that is 28 with 2 children and she is incredibly immature and is helped out by bank of mum and dad for things. I know younger people with children who are great parents.

Reactions: 4
Can't speak for anyone else. It was too young for me. I was with my husband, but we weren't ready, financially, at 23. We are in a much better position now (thinking of trying soon) in our late twenties (28 and nearly 30!) as we have a home and our mortgage is mostly paid off. I could afford to be a stay at home mum now, which is what I want for a few years, at least. At 23 I had only been working a couple of years, and we were still living with my parents until we were 24. I am glad I waited. Money would have been a worry if we'd have done it at 23.

I am 25 and donā€™t yet have children, I would say myself and my partner (30) are definitely mature enough and in a stable 8 year relationship etc but as someone who had a young mum (she was 17 when she had me) this has made me more cautious to having children early in life. She wasnā€™t really ready to be a mother to me until she was in her late 20s/early 30s which is when we built more of a relationship. On the flip side most women are amazing mothers at the same age as my mum was but my experience as a child has effected my feelings towards having children soon.

We will be getting married, buying a house, going on some luxury holidays and saving up before we start trying just so we are in the best position possible for starting our family, I am someone that needs to be prepared and have a plan šŸ˜‚

Iā€™d say itā€™s too young yes - but she has had a very different life to most of us. I just canā€™t see how by 23 most people would have had a stable long term relationship, reached where you want to career wise, have a house etc - not to mention having enjoyed your youth and travelled where you want to go.

Though this is coming from someone who, at 31, feels a potted plant it too much responsibility šŸ˜‚ .

Reactions: 4
I had my first at 15 (obviously way too young, not matured, no clue of adult life, etc) but once my little girl was here she changed everything and Iā€™m now 21 and going on 40 maturity wise! šŸ˜‚ I had my second baby, a little boy, when I was 20 and we have a stable life and my children never go without. Iā€™ve managed to get myself a degree in social work so I have a proper career behind me. I donā€™t think thereā€™s every a right age to have a baby, as long as you have the means and maturity to look after your little ones and do the best for them I think that is all that matters.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
My best friend fell pregnant at 21 and shes the mother of the happiest toddler I've ever seen. My friend has absolutely smashed it.

I'm 27 and plan to start trying in the next 2 years or so as I think I'm too young šŸ˜‚.

I'm so broody lately though so hoping Mr Sosig might give in and say let's start now šŸ˜‚

I had my daughter at 19. Iā€™m 30 and sheā€™s off to secondary school. Worked out perfect.

Iā€™m 20 and currently pregnant. Just about to start my 4th year at uni for primary teaching and am so nervous. Iā€™ve always known I wanted kids but just not so soon, however I am so excited as well! Itā€™s just the house issue thatā€™s stressing me out as myself and my boyfriend are still living at home! I am a bit young but have a lot of faith in myself to do well šŸ˜Š

• Heart
I donā€™t think sheā€™s too young per se, 23 isnā€™t particularly young, I think itā€™s more that sheā€™s in a relationship with a guy who seems a bit shady (at best) and that they have been on & off like a cold tap on a hot day.

I dont think she's that young but younger than the average parent nowadays. Like everyone above said, it depends on maturity, job security aswell as financial aspects. Personally, I feel I would be an amazing parent now at 23 (tooting my own horn!) but I don't feel like I'm financially ready. If money wasn't an issue and my partner was on board, I think I would quite happily have a child now.

Reactions: 1
23 isn't too young at all, in fact it's about the right time to start having kids.

23 isn't too young at all, in fact it's about the right time to start having kids.
I mean technically 16-20 is the ā€œrightā€ time biologically šŸ˜‚ Doesnā€™t mean itā€™s the right time in todayā€™s society. I still think 23 is very young, youā€™ve barely got much experience as an adult in the world - fair enough itā€™s the right time for some people but for the vast majority itā€™s probably a bit soon. Iā€™d say 26/27 more of a happy medium for people who want kids young.