100 Kilo Kids: Obesity SOS

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did anyone watch this? I'm halfway through watching it and I'm shocked by the behaviour of Tommy's Mum. She wants him to lose the weight, but doesn't want him to exercise. She wants him to lose weight but is bringing sweets in to the hospital?! The doctors and nurses must feel like banging their heads against a brick wall. If anyone wants to find it on catchup it was on Channel 4 on Wednesday 4th March

Reactions: 2
Did anyone watch this? I'm halfway through watching it and I'm shocked by the behaviour of Tommy's Mum. She wants him to lose the weight, but doesn't want him to exercise. She wants him to lose weight but is bringing sweets in to the hospital?! The doctors and nurses must feel like banging their heads against a brick wall. If anyone wants to find it on catchup it was on Channel 4 on Wednesday 4th March
I saw the preview and am interested in watching this.

Reactions: 1
I was fascinated and shocked by this in equal measure. I saw an article about the programme on the Daily Fail and, as expected, all the comments were ‘in my day…’’ and so on, but it’s more complicated. For me, it comes down to:
  • Lack of exercise (exacerbated by social media and gaming)
  • Possibly parents being protective about kids being outdoors unsupervised these days
  • SOOOO much junk around. This is the big one for me. When I was very young (growing up in a village) shops closed at 5pm and the ‘junk’ that could be bought was very limited indeed. Now it’s everywhere and dirt cheap. We didn’t have iron willpower in those days, we just weren’t surrounded by cheap, crap food with addictive mixes of fructose syrup everywhere.
  • Of course, our habits and norms have changed. Fat isn’t unusual these days.

She was dreadful, just seemed like she was sabotaging any chance of him losing weight. Easy to understand how he got to that size.

Reactions: 4
I saw some but not all. What happened in the end with the mum and the little girl? I really felt for her that she hadn’t been given more help before now. It seemed to me like the little girl had an undiagnosed issue and was wondering if that had been the case.

Reactions: 1
I saw some but not all. What happened in the end with the mum and the little girl? I really felt for her that she hadn’t been given more help before now. It seemed to me like the little girl had an undiagnosed issue and was wondering if that had been the case.

The little girl has a genetic issue that means she constantly feels hungry. There is medication but she’s too young for it at the moment. So they’ve just got to manage her diet until she’s old enough for it to be dealt with medically I think.

• Sad
The little girl has a genetic issue that means she constantly feels hungry. There is medication but she’s too young for it at the moment. So they’ve just got to manage her diet until she’s old enough for it to be dealt with medically I think.
How difficult for both of them. I’m glad the doctors got to the bottom of it in the end. Thanks for the update. 🙂

So shocked at the attitude of that boys Mum. She was setting him up to fail. Made a lot of it about her. I felt so sorry for him. Praise for the nursing team dealing with her so calmly.